Sign in to follow this  

advrider sign up.

I've tried to sign up for the last couple of months and never get a confirmation email. Email the owner and he doesn't reply either. It's not like I don't have a clue how VBulletin works or anything. :smirk:

I never got a confirmation either. So after a while I went to the site, entered my screen name and password - worked. It's worth a try.

You should be signed up as noted above. Sign In and find out. Baldy never returns emails ... he has boot lickers for that! :bonk: You won't be able to send PM's or post For Sale items until you have a certain number of posts ... other than that you're good to go. ADVrider do lots of periodic maintenance and upgrades ... so maybe you hit a down time. Happens once a week or so. (unlike TT , which up grades about once every five years!! :smirk: And ADV has NO ADS ... and NO COMMERCIAL attachments. That's one reason it's so successful. Bosch hasn't caught onto that quite yet. ADV is just a smarter site overall ... but way too much traffic to follow daily.

Bosch hasn't caught onto that quite yet. ADV is just a smarter site overall ... but way too much traffic to follow daily.

Oh hell no.  Look at how much TT has grown in the past 10 years.  ADV is useless with bike specific threads that are over 500 pages long.  Threads like "show me your BMW luxotourer super tanker/yacht with of a plate of pasta carbonaro". There's some good stuff over there, don't get me wrong, but TT kicks it's ass "overall"!!

Edited by Chorbelt

Oh hell no. Look at how much TT has grown in the past 10 years. ADV is useless with bike specific threads that are over 500 pages long. Threads like "show me your BMW luxotourer super tanker/yacht with of a plate of pasta carbonaro". There's some good stuff over there, don't get me wrong, but TT kicks it's ass "overall"!!

You mean grown in membership? Cause more members does NOT mean a "better" site. This recent up grade is the first major upgrade I've seen on TT ... and I've been around a while. I don't like the fact TT is a commercial site. But it's obvious the majority of TT members don't care. ADV is strictly NON Commercial. The site owner has had many lucrative offers

(in the millions) to allow ads. He refuses. That is integrity ... and honors his original intent when starting the site. ADV gets NON solicited contributions from members. About once a year Baldy will put out the word ... and the money flows in like water. Also ... it's pretty much SOP there that when you sell something in the Flea Market ... you send a chunk in to ADV. I understand Bryan's quandry ... Baldy has a multi-million dollar company (Smug Mug) so has a back up. But it's also about the quality and maturity of the members on TT vs. ADV. Most ADV guys know you have to pay to play. Not sure TT members have got there yet. Running ads is a slippery slope. What's next?

Many TT members are ignorant and apathetic about land use and most don't support our sport with money or deeds. Do they think their parents will pay? or someone else will write that letter? Most ride with stupid loud pipes and DO NOT tread lightly. Red Necks and White Trash. They deserve what they will get: ALL RIDING AREAS CLOSED. But all that is another thread.

You can actually find out a lot on ADV Rider ... if you just ask. Take the 9 million view DR650 thread in the Thumpers forum. It's huge ... but go on there and ask anything, and I guarantee you'll get a civil, smart and informed response. Trying to search ADV is another matter. It just does not work well. But if you can't find something ... just ask or start a new thread on the subject ... ASK!

But I do agree .... ADV is too big (200,000 members ... about 50,000 active) and moves very quickly. If you try to keep up you'll go insane and probably lose your job and your wife will kick you out. But I try to check in most days but limit my time there. The general IQ level at ADV is higher than TT (IMHO) and you find a WIDE RANGE of members from around the world ... mostly college educated. The TT demographic seems younger, less educated and more conservative ... very generally speaking here. Just because I ride dirt bikes does not mean I'm a right wing religious nut job who thought thought the Iraq war was a good idea. (What a waste of blood and treasure)

I am NOT a BMW fan ... but keep in mind it was a group of BMW GS riders that started ADV Rider in 2001. I've met the owner and several of the original suspects ... most of whom have moved on ... or been banned. :bonk::lol:

Edited by 54321

So you're biggest bitch is that you've got to look at ads?! I've been around longer, and remember when TT was comparable to 4strokes.com (was hondaxr.com before that). You're right, I don't give a damn about them since Bryan started this site as a hobby (also before 4 strokes were "cool"), and he's kept it free for all of us to use while also turning it into what I assume is a pretty good business. Glad to hear baldy (dick?) expects kickbacks, guess I'll stick to CL and avoid the flea market.

ADV has got some of the best rr's on the web, Debandi's rides in Al., the "road of bones" thread, even the kid who rode his CT 70 cross country, but that's pretty much all it's good for. Kind of like a book that you put out of the coffee table to flip through when you've got a free minute.

For technical content TT wins hands down, and I don't know about the other regional forums, but in the NW, Tod rocks & keeps on everyone's ass to get involved with land use issues that are current in WA. Rednecks and white trash - yeah, I'm both of those, but what's up with ADV'ers giving everyone the finger? Is that the "integrity" you're talking about? That's a joke, and also a damn good way to get for someone to get their ass kicked by some "white trash redneck".

I signed up to adv.com last year. Works fine. Newbie personal observations between adv.com and tt.com:

Adv.com is more "camaraderie" oriented. A lot of the regionals know each other and ride together. There's ongoing regional "BS" threads where it's just chit n' chat'n. In the short time I've browsed/surfed adv.com, I've already learned of new rides/routes/sights in the Ozarks to go see for myself via dual sporting. For me, that's a good thing,

TT.com does seem to have a lot of technical knowledge, for which I am very grateful. It's always good to be able to get others input on a tech problem, or read candid impressions of their bikes, etc. Haven't noticed any outlandish behavior here... just some forthright dirt biking opinions (usually based on experience). I, for one, don't have a problem with that.

Bottom line in my eyes: The two sites are different. To me, both sites are good.

Vinduroman

Edited by Vinduroman

I hate the huge threads there, it's too hard to follow and find info

but otherwise the regional forums are really good there

If I remember, to join you had to answer a question about the bike ridden in a movie. Indian was the answer

Registered a few years ago without an issue... I think the problem is known in the IT world as "PEBKAC". :bonk:

Yea, the two sites are pretty different. Both are good in different ways. Both have their share of "real" riders and keyboard jockeys. And there's a lot of names that are familiar at both sites.

TT feels geared towards the younger, more off-road-oriented crowd. ADV is more of a "mature" (LOL :lol:) dual-sport/distance riding group. Bigger bikes, longer rides, and that pesky "M" endorsement on your drivers license.

You won't find ride reports from a few guys who rode motorcycles through Asia/Russia/Europe here, and there's not a lot of weekend MX racers on ADV.

Did you get in yet? I didn't like the site at all for a good year or so. Now I like it. It takes awhile to grow on you.

Nope, never sent the verification email.

No biggie, we have lots of good info here. :bonk:

I prefer AdvRider to TT and not just because of the lack of ads and Tapatalk integration.

AdvRider has also never crashed my browser.

I prefer AdvRider to TT and not just because of the lack of ads and Tapatalk integration.

Doesn't look like I'll have to worry about that problem. :bonk:

You obviously don't use an iPad. I don't use one very often, but AdvRider will close Safari every five minutes or so just for the hell of it. Never had an issue with either TT or KTMTalk.

You obviously don't use an iPad. I don't use one very often, but AdvRider will close Safari every five minutes or so just for the hell of it. Never had an issue with either TT or KTMTalk.

I use Tapatalk on the gen 1 iPad.