Sign in to follow this  

What's your gearing?

My 09 400 XC-W came with 13/52 gearing. I am now in need of a new sprocket so I was thinking about getting new front, rear and chain. But there is so much out there on X-Ring, O-Ring, Z-Ring chains, gearing etc that I am thoroughly confused. I ride mostly single and 2 track trails in Nor-Cal so most of the terrain involves tight turns and up hill climbs.

So that brings me to the point of this post, what is your set up and any advice or guidance you would offer?

Thanks!

Shapi

Most people here run 14/52. I run 13/48 which is almost the same gear ratio as a 14/52. I run 13/48 because when I switch to SM I run 14/46 and I can use the same chain. The 13/48 is a 3.69 ratio and the 14/52 is a 3.71. This is the best If you ask me. I can run 2nd in the tight single track. (Renz at Holister) and in the desert it will hit 100 MPH 6th gear WFO. I also have a Rekluse which helps out in the single track. ANyway just my .02 cents.

Cool thanks for sharing. So going to the 14 cs, you increase top en speed without sacrificing low end chugging?

Most people here run 14/52. I run 13/48 which is almost the same gear ratio as a 14/52. I run 13/48 because when I switch to SM I run 14/46 and I can use the same chain. The 13/48 is a 3.69 ratio and the 14/52 is a 3.71. This is the best If you ask me. I can run 2nd in the tight single track. (Renz at Holister) and in the desert it will hit 100 MPH 6th gear WFO. I also have a Rekluse which helps out in the single track. ANyway just my .02 cents.

I have the 14/52 also, but I'm a novice rider and wanted to get away from the stock setup and have climbing power and some downhill control. I still get super freaked out on steep rocky downhills and thought about getting a Rekluse clutch but I think I'd loose any engine braking.

I have an 09 400 XC-W and with stock gearing I always felt like I needed another gear between 1st and 2nd. I swapped out the front sprocket for a 12 tooth and it's absolutely the best mod on the bike. I run a DID X Ring and a Supersprox rear sprocket. The bike is so much nicer in tight singletrack and has more get up and go. It's much easier to get the front wheel up for logs, ditches and culverts etc.

A lot of 400 owners will tell you it's the first thing you should do to the bike. Wear on the chain guide has been fine, no issues rubbing through after 100 hours.

Dirt Rider mag swapped out the front on their long term test bike and stated it's a must do..

love my stealth rear sprocket and run a 13/54. This lets me use ALL my gears and i always have enough low end to chug up anything. I hate running one gear through the woods on a 4 stroke, it's boring.

• Like 1

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/long_haul/141_0905_long_haul_ktm_400_xcw/index.html

Another couple of reccomended mods are a Dirt Tricks chain tensioner and 2010 rings to reduce oil consumption.

Yeah saw this which is what really prompted me to ask around. Sometimes mags put mods and recommendations bec they want to support their advertisers. Not saying DR does this but I is natural to support those who support you.

Thanks for the insights!

love my stealth rear sprocket and run a 13/54. This lets me use ALL my gears and i always have enough low end to chug up anything. I hate running one gear through the woods on a 4 stroke, it's boring.

Wow, that's the lowest I have ever seen posted. I love 13/50 for the tight technical stuff I ride. I had 13/48 on my second rear wheel and don't like it as well. I do slip the clutch some in first on real wicked stuff. May have to try 13/52 some day.

I can't see running 100mph gearing on a trail bike. Had my bike on pavement once in Death Valley. It would get a bad speed wobble at 70mph, 6th was usesless. The bike was happy going 65mph in 5th.

Just recently changed mine from stock 15/45 to 14/52. Just enough low end for the tight trails but still enough top end so the engine isn't screaming its guts out to go 60 mph.