Sign in to follow this  

best 2006-2009 era bike?

This is a long term question for me, because I'm not in a position yet to buy a bike, but eventually I will sell my trusty 1999 yz400. I trail ride almost exclusively. MX almost none.

I want a bike that is powerful but magagable in the woods. The few reasons for me wanting a newer bike are 1) I want a bike that rekluse makes auto clutches for, 2) I want a lighter bike, and 3) I want a bike that sticks a little better in the turns. 4) I want something as powerful or better than my current bike, so I am pretty much looking at 450's. 5) I don't really want one of the EFI bikes from the early era of EFI; I know they are more responsive, but the early efi bikes from what I have heard are pretty flat on the top end.

I don't necessarily have to have the ultimate mx shootout winner. I'm sure anything from this era would be miles better than what I'm currently running. Low maintenance and reliability are a concern for me. I really am not interested in changing the oil every time I ride. The bike should be able to handle 2nd/3rd gear operation most of the time with the rekluse.

I really don't have any brand loyalty. This isn't a question of which brand is best, I just want to plan on buying an overall great bike.

So what do you guys think?

Wow, that’s a pretty open question. I also owned a 99 yz400 and have had a number of bikes since then. The YZ 400 is about the same weight as modern 450’s, pretty powerful, and very reliable. You seem to want a newer 450 MX bike (more power but not much difference in weight). I would argue that they are not all that manageable in the woods. None of the newer 450 MX bikes would be low maintenance either. They will require more valve maintenance than your 400. All that said, I loved my 07 KX 450 for its low end snort. A YZ is probably the lowest maintenance 450 MX’r of that era with its 5 valve head. The WR’s and CRF-X’s are better trail bikes but heavier than what you ride now. The KTM XC line is somewhere in the middle. A 450 XCf or 530 XCf will weigh more than your YZ but will feel about the same weight and make a much better trail bike. They are also lower maintenance than the 450 MX bikes. If you really want lighter with lots of power you have to look at the 2-stroke offerings. The KTM 300 is a serious off-road machine that has strong and very adjustable power and weighs significantly less than the 4-stroke machines, and brings the benefits of less maintenance. Gas Gas, and Husqvarna also make 300 2-strokes. The biggest difference between your 400 and newer 4-stroke bikes will be handeling and suspension.

CoKTM