Sign in to follow this  

1982 XR200R - Replacement Plastics, etc

I'm working on bringing my (previously my dad's) 82 xr200r back to life. I'm new to the forum and know a little mechanics basics, but not a lot, so bear with me.

I'm looking for a good place to find a replacement front fender, rear fender with tail light, and possible headlight bezzle. Something that matches the stock Honda Red color as close as possible.

I've found front & rear fenders made by Maier, but I believe they come in a flashier red color (that matches later models), and not the darker red color that came stock in 1982.

Also, need a seat / seat cover. I've found a company that makes 'exact' replica seat covers on ebay (even the tool bags) - black with the white "200R" on the seat...but they're in Thailand and I'm not sure what the quality will be like.

Any help would be appreciated. Input / Comments are welcome. Thanks guys!

Attached is a shot of the dinosaur from a month or so ago before I picked it up... I believe it has the front fender & number plate (with light) from an old Yamaha. And I'm definitely taking that OFF.

*Working on removing the rear shock NOW, to send off to get resealed and re-filled, etc.

Jason

Raleigh, NC

IMG_0737.jpg

Had a guy/company give me an estimate of $150-$170. parts included.

Couple things. I don't know if your shock leaks fluid or not. If it doesn't a lot of times all it needs is a nitrogen fill that can be done at any bike shop for cheap money. There's a tire like valve on the bottom of the small canister from the shock attached to the frame. I found that there are companies online that rebuild, refresh atv and snowmobile shocks cheaper than a specalist. Seems last time I looke there was a companie out west that was charging $65. Dont' remember there name though. BTW, I bought a seat cover from that asian company on ebay and it is of pretty good quality. I have the mair rear fender on an 83 xr200r and it's a close enough match that it's not very noticable if at all. Definitly glossier than the 27 year old plastics though. Theres a rear fender with tail light on ebay right now if you still need one.

Edited by scotteroni

Thanks chuck, good to know the color names & codes.

Scott, thanks for all the info. I'm not sure if the shock is leaking or not, but I'll def check out online sources on shock repair.

I'll also check eBay about that fender. Last time I checked Maier they only had the rear fender in the darker red; the only front fender they had was flash red.

Thanks guys, very helpful stuff.

Jason,

I suggest giving Bruce Triplett (http://www.brucessuspension.com) a call for your shock . He is in Salisbury, NC and is very familiar with XR suspension and setting up bikes for woods riding. I'd also suggest you have him do your forks too. He is extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. He now rides a CRF230F and has recently setup a CRF150F for MX so he knows a lot about the "newer" bikes too.

At least give him a call to discuss your options. He's only about 100 miles from you so that would make it very easy to drop the bike off.

Edited by VortecCPI

Thanks Vortec - I may give Bruce a call about the forks.

I've sent off the rear shock to wiigstyleracing.com already, and he's working on it now. He quoted me $108, plus shipping it back to me of course. That quote was better than the $170 price I got from a guy in Greensboro, NC... so we'll see how it turns out.

check plastics for any 1980- 89 xr 200 plastics they all had the same set of plastics

The plastics may look similar but there are three distinctively different sets of plastics covering those years and they are not interchangeable, and then to add insult to injury Honda changed the shade of red!

Like said Maier makes the front n rear fenders but I was glad to see that DC plastic's is making the side number plates now! They claim the front fender is the same as thier 79-80 CR 125/250.

I'm not sure about Maier's colors I bought a rear fender in the Red color and when I got it I was disappointed in that it was clearly darker then the stock. Turns out the Flash red front fender matches the tank and side number plates and I now have a dark red frame n rear fender! My friend was restoring an '83 at the same time and gave me the fender I would of been alittle more upset if I would of gotten the darker red fender like i was planning on.

I have used from my '82 front headlight setup with the tach in good shape I don't recall it being faded out it's been awhile since I looked at it last I will never put it back on the bike. I think I have the stock tail light setup too also have the CDI and wiring harness I'll toss in.