Sign in to follow this  

XR650R Front Brake - Decrease in Stopping Power - Help Please

I have a 2000 XR650R that I've ridden for about 9 years. I've put new pads on it twice, replaced the brake fluid a few times.

I've noticed a gradual decrease in front brake effectiveness for about 1,000 miles. The brake didn't disappear, I just noticed it wasn't as strong.

So, I bought a new rotor for the first time (galfer) and replacement pads. Replace the fluid. Better performance, but not by much.

So, decided maybe that master cylinder wasn't right, so bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it.

Had the brake line disconnected at top and bottom for the first time.

Put it all back together, and went to refill the fluid.

Open the bleed valve on the bottom, poured fluid into the top reservoir -- not much happened.

Had to work the lever 50 times to get the fluid to fill. Didn't count the ounces, but about 3 reservoirs full.

Still not much resistance on the lever. Adjusted the bolt in against the master cylinder. Not much resistance.

Time to replace the line? Rebuild the caliper?

I can follow directions, but I'm not very intuitive about brakes...

Help!

Dan

Getting air to travel all the way down a front brake line is hard,,if not impossible.......get a vacuum gun and bleed at the nipple with that....or you can take the caliper off,put a piece of wood between the pads so the piston won`t come out.....then hang the caliper from something so the entire line and caliper are uphill of the brake master cylinder,then bleed it..

The air will travel uphill easily,,tap the line and caliper while bleeding to dislodge air bubbles..

Make sure the caliper pins and slides move freely when putting back on,grease with brake lube..

The other thing i would do is sand the pads to remove any glazing,lightly sand the rotor too,then spray the bugger out of the pads and rotor with brakeclean to remove any grease/oil that was on the new rotor from the factory...

Get sintered pads if those pads are not sintered pad material

B

Reverse bleed it.

Pry the pads apart it will push air out if it's near the master cylinder. Pump them back together and repeat.

Works for me everytime...

Thanks guys! I will try these and post any progress that I make.

Much appreciated!

Dan

+1 to the "upside down" bleeding if you dont have a vacuum bleeder.

are you still using the factory brake hose?

When I complained of "soft front brake" everyone here suggested I replace the hose with a Galfer.

( Sold it before I fixed it ) :bonk: