Sign in to follow this  

05 yz125 carb problems

I recently picked up an 05 yz125 for $500 that has been sitting for a while. It had ethanol gas sitting in the carb for atleast a year, and was completely plugged up. I thought I got it cleaned up pretty good, however it is still dieing whenever the choke is off. It will run great with the choke, but as soon as its turned off it just keeps bogging. The pilot circuit was the most plugged. I dipped the carb and used welding files to clean the passages as much as possible. Apparently I didn't get it clean enough. Is there anything I could be missing? A better way to clean it possibly? I'd love to get this thing rideable. Thanks

Compressed air didn't work. I soaked in pinesol for a few hrs but not over night. Do you think it would make a difference?

The carb cleaner dip Yamaha sells works very well at removing the dried fuel varnish left by old fuel. Retails for about $12 per quart and is well worth it. Pull the carb completely apart and soak all the parts overnight. Rinse and blow the carb body passages out and you should be good if the float level and jet sizes are close.

The carb cleaner dip Yamaha sells works very well at removing the dried fuel varnish left by old fuel. Retails for about $12 per quart and is well worth it. Pull the carb completely apart and soak all the parts overnight. Rinse and blow the carb body passages out and you should be good if the float level and jet sizes are close.

Agree with this. I'd replace the jets anyway. But still... clean the whole carb this way too.