Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a certain dirtbike

Looking for at least a 400cc with a speedometer that can easily be converted to street legal. Like a wr450 etc. what else should I look for?

KTM, Husqvqrna, Beta, and Husaberg all make street legal dirt bikes. They work well right out of the box but are expensive. WR’s and CRF-X’s can be made street legal in many states but not all. They need a brake light switch, dot tires, mirrors, speedo, and signals added to be street legal in most states. The speedo is easy to put on. A Trail Tech Vapor is a common solution. Then there is the DRZ 400. You better check the regs in your area before purchasing if it has to be street legal.

CoKTM

Any of the post '07 (I think) KTM EXC’s, the Husqvarna TE line, and the Beta RS line.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm

For the Husaberg models look for '09-'11:

FE 390

FE 450

FE 570

FE 570S

My understanding is the 570S is 50 state street legal (has emission equipment). Not sure about Canada. I picked up a '10 FE450 and converted it from off-road to street legal here in Colorado. I only had to add a horn (which was plug and play), mirror and DOT tires to do that. It comes with headlilght, taillight, brake light, hour meter, speedometer and odometer as stock equipment. Colorado doesnt require turn signals and it doesnt come stock with them.

Depending on the conversion rules in Alberta, you might be able to upgrade the KTM XC's and XC-W's to street legal by adding light kits.

For the Husaberg models look for '09-'11:

FE 390

FE 450

FE 570

FE 570S

My understanding is the 570S is 50 state street legal (has emission equipment). Not sure about Canada. I picked up a '10 FE450 and converted it from off-road to street legal here in Colorado. I only had to add a horn (which was plug and play), mirror and DOT tires to do that. It comes with headlilght, taillight, brake light, hour meter, speedometer and odometer as stock equipment. Colorado doesnt require turn signals and it doesnt come stock with them.

Depending on the conversion rules in Alberta, you might be able to upgrade the KTM XC's and XC-W's to street legal by adding light kits.

No, you cannot convert a off-road motorcycle to a street legal bike in Alberta. You used to be able to but not anymore. Some still try and get away with it but you are only insured till you get into an accident, then your insurance company says you falsified your information and it is null amd void. The bike has to be sold as a on-road motorcycle. Many guys used to have converted dirtbikes to make them legal for the street but a few got into accidents, they tried to claim insurance, the bikes needed to be submitted for inspection and DOT saw that the bikes didn't meet proper specs. (example: the gas tanks are/were plasic or the lens on the taillight didn't have DOT in it). Insurance companies will gladly take your money until then though. Im also not saying this because "I think I know". I lived in Calgary for 6yrs and spent countless hours researching, talking to MOT, going to bike builders, talking with insurance companies, talking with registration etc etc. If you decide to do it yourself this is what you will have to do: Buy bike, Buy DS kit and install, take bike to Canadian Tire(they are the only place that is allowed to do inspections in Canada, not shops), Canadian Tire runs vin, VIN comes up and says bike is sold as dirtbike, bike gets flagged and your done! By the weird chance you make it through, bike now goes to registry, vin is run again, vin shows bike as being sold as dirtbike, bike gets flagged and your done. The odds you make it past Canadian Tire are slim to non.

If the OP wants a 400cc or more bike for on/off road, stick to one that is properly made that way from the factory.

Better yet, I have a 09 DRZ 400s (it's the street legal version), I made a little more dirt worthy and would like to sell! Maybe your interested?

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf

Great info Pumpkin. It is amazing how much different it is between states in the US and Canadian provinces. Here in Colorado, you have to insure the motorcycle before you can even convert from off-road to on-road bike. And getting insurance isnt a real problem (other than paying the additional cost).

How about the US 50 state legal dual sport bikes such as the Husaberg FE570S....would that one be a possibility for Stealth13 to consider for Alberta?

Great info Pumpkin. It is amazing how much different it is between states in the US and Canadian provinces. Here in Colorado, you have to insure the motorcycle before you can even convert from off-road to on-road bike. And getting insurance isnt a real problem (other than paying the additional cost).

How about the US 50 state legal dual sport bikes such as the Husaberg FE570S....would that one be a possibility for Stealth13 to consider for Alberta?

Yes, as long it is the street legal model. Actually, that's the bike I want to buy, problem is oil capacity and fuel range with 'bergs. Because of its unique design fuel capacity becomes an issue unless you have big $$$. In Alberta you do have to insure and register your bike for liability purposes to ride in the bush but not at the track because they carry their own insurance. When they are sold from the dealer they are sold as off-road only, hard to make it street legal with that In big bold letters on the paperwork. I'm not sure exactly when it happening but certain on-road bikes like a 570s will have serials numbers that say DOT in the middle or something along those lines.

In BC, you don't have to insure or register your dirtbikes yet, but they are pushing for it. A lot of stollen bikes in AB go to BC for that reason.