Sign in to follow this  

Am I asking to much?

I can't seem to sell my '00 YZ250. So far everyone that I have spoken to have said I shouldn't have any problems selling but yet the bike sits in the garage. It's been on Craig's List twice, I've had on the TT classifieds twice before. I get a nibble but not one buyer has ever come to see it. Am I asking to much? The first time I had it in the classifieds I asked for $1700 that was in 2010, then in 2011 I asked for $1500, and now I am asking for $1200. I know I would have taken $1200 in 2010 but now I am at that price and will not go any lower, it will rot in the garage before I take less than $1200. No, just kidding I will give it my nephew before that happens. He say's he will wait for my 450X, that bike for sure will never be sold. Any ideas? Here's a picture of it:

DSC03833.jpg

Edited by BrassOnes

if that's the picture your using on craiglist to sell it, I know why your not getting much interest, that pictures sucks

Blahh might be rite, market the bike with the best photo's you can at the best angles possible, include a bloted list of all the parts you have on it, and make up some nice facts like :Vet owned,well maintained ect... Advertise it on cycletrader too (I know it's a little expensive) and offer a short running vid. of it taken from your phone that you can e-mail to buyers...Good Luck man...

I agree, add more pictures and from every angle. I hate seeing bikes for sale with one picture that the seller just snapped of it sitting around. Any add with 10 pictures of the bike tells me that the owner is proud of his bike and that he isn't trying to hide anything. Bikes don't usually go below 1,200 where I am, unless there's a problem with it.

i'd pay 1200 no problem,if you had it here you would be getting 2500 at least.

I payed 1700 for my 2001 yz250, bone stock. seems like it was a garage queen based on the minimal wear of the paint off the frame and clutch cover and how healthy it sounds. Plus the guy i bought it from looked like a video game nerd with a pasty white spare tire underneath his shirt. shook hands with him and he was clearly not a hard core moto-rider with soft femanine hands like that lol

Thanks for the input and advice. I will take more pictures tomorrow and add five hundred to the asking. I figured with all the parts I had on it, the extra parts that were going to be included the one picture and asking price would have gotten someone to come and take a look at it and make an offer. Especially with everyone telling me that Green Sticker two strokes are in demand in California. I thought it was the economy that was making it difficult to get rid of it, nope it was me not making the ad pretty enough.

locally there is a 00 250 w/ 07 SSS susp & EG295 for $1600 and it's been there for awhile.

price of this bike would be~ 2000$ here in Europe/ Hungary.

But this info is very useless :smirk:

slap a 2012 yz450f front fender on that bad girl. thats what i did and it looks a lot better. maybe get a modern front # plate and a brand new bar pad. sometimes you gotta spend money to make money

Also ,put some new fenders on it.

Those make it look old and crashed.

:smirk: One of the reasons I think that my asking price is fair, I tried to get some on Friday no one local had them in stock, ordering front and rears tomorrow. Great info, the price of this bike just keeps going up.

I can't even get anyone to bite for $1300 for my 03 YZ250 :smirk:

With the current state of the economy, and how most budgets are getting squeezed, you may have to sit on that one for a while.

But here are a couple ideas to help you sell it, and I believe they have all been mentioned already.

1) Take the bike out of the garage and post at least four high quality pics on CL with your ad. Just your bike. No kids, wife, GF, car, truck, or other bikes in the background. Take right side, left side, engine close up, and maybe one from the front. Take the pics on an overcast day if possible. That way you won't have harsh shadows and everything will be well lit.

2) Give the bike a thorough cleaning before taking the pics. Get into all of the nooks and crannies. Use a tooth brush and dish soap (Dawn, Palmolive, whatever and use an SOS pad on the wheels - it will help polish the aluminum while getting the grime off). Take off the body panels and get behind them. A bike with just a little dirt in hard to reach areas really looks bad. If you can get that dirt off, then the bike will look 100 times better and potential buyers will notice the effort. Even if they are not sure why the bike looks so good.

3) Mention that more pics are available on request. Have pics from every angle imaginable and make sure they are lit properly and blurry. Crappy cell phone pics won't work. Email those extra pics to anyone who wants them.

4) List any mods that have been done. You have an oversized tank, desert riders would like that. But don't list every single litte item. Just the big stuff, like your oversized tank, and aftermarket pipe and silencer.

5) Don't forget to mention that it is a GREEN STICKER bike. From what I understand, that is a big deal down there in California.

6) Replace the front and rear fender, or use a heat gun to lessen the "whitening" from the bends.

7) Set your price at $1700 and don't forget to tell potential buyers that they "Won't be disappointed". Let them talk you down to $1500 or whatever your bottom price is.

8) If there are any small items that need to be addressed (bent levers, worn sprockets, chain, grips, etc) then go ahead and get some el cheapo pieces and put them on. They will look good and potential buyers will figure that they don't have to repair those items prior to their first ride. Also, things like bent levers, damaged plastics, rusty chain, all scream that the bike has not been well maintained. If you won't fix the easy stuff, you will have a hard time convincing buyers that bearings, topend, etc have been taken care of.

9) If there are any issues with the bike, don't hesitate to tell potential buyers when they call you to see the bike in person. But don't list problems in the ad, unless they are major and will become readily apparent once a buyer sees it in person (ie cracked tank, poor compression, etc).

10) And for the love of the sale, don't hesitate to mention that it starts easy, runs strong, and has been well maintained.

Even with the crummy economy, you should be able to get $1500-1700 for that bike as long as it is meticulously clean and all of the little maintenance items have been done.

I sold my 2000 YZ426 in 2010 for $2500, cash. I had new graphics, and a brand new rear tire on it. I bought it for $900 in 2006 and rode the wheels off it. All told I had maybe $1500 total in that bike in purchase and maintenance over the four years I owned it. I also made sure that I started it every single day for a week or so before I even put it up for sale. It was very impressive to show the buyer how easy it started from dead cold in two kicks. Completely displaced his fear of hard starting four strokes.

Edited by USED YZ426F

Maybe you need to mention it has a "brand new top-end with only 15hrs on it" :smirk: .

Seriously though, some better photos will help you sell it. I know someone who is looking to buy that bike, he is a nigerian prince. He cant pick it up but will pay for the shipping! Will you take a check?

Is it too low priced? I swear sometimes I get suspicious of what looks like a great deal.

Maybe you need to mention it has a "brand new top-end with only 15hrs on it" :smirk: .

Seriously though, some better photos will help you sell it. I know someone who is looking to buy that bike, he is a nigerian prince. He cant pick it up but will pay for the shipping! Will you take a check?

One guy keeps offering me tattoos. So hearing from a Nigerian prince wouldn't surprise me.