Sign in to follow this  

2008 65sx

Last year at the end of the season, I notice that my son's bike was draining fuel while leaned over even a small amount. I assumed it was a float adjustment. I have just completed tearing down and rebuilding the bike. While in the carb I noticed that there was a pretty good grove in the needle and seat o-ring so I replaced that whole assembly. I adjusted the float height (which was pretty much on) and replaced the choke knob since it to had a grove in the o-ring as well. I thouroughly cleaned the carb, adjusted the needle one clip up (now 2 from the top) and insured that the jets were clean. However, upon starting the bike today to do the break in period, I noticed it was running really rich, sputtering blackish oilly fuel out all the exhaust joints. It ran a little better with the fuel petcock mostly closed, but still not great. I have the air screw one turn out. I also replaced all the vent lines on the carb and the fuel cap. While doing the piston and rings, I also checked the condition of the reeds which looked flawless. Is there something I missed? It still leaks when leaned over and won't clean out onced warmed up!

Thanks for any help.

The Bug

Well, I found the problemo! Brain fart on my part. Apparently when I cleaned the carb, I missed seeing the washer and o-ring under the air screw. Which obviously has flown the way of the dodo bird and they are somewhere other than in my carb :smirk:!!!! At least the carb is doubly clean and the float height is rechecked!

The bug!