Exhaust Bridge?

Ok, I can't keep a top end going in this 1998 RM125. Is it because I'm not relieving the exhaust bridge? The cylinder had a fresh bored sleeve. The piston was turned the right way, and ring end gap checked. Maybe the water pump isn't working?

It fails by galling and sticking the ring all around. All the pistons I've put in already have holes. Can't remember the main jet size, but it is one larger than stock. Has anyone relieved the exhaust bridge? Let me get a pic...

Edited by packfill

Your problem is heat. Few things to think about are;

1. Stater timing (line it up back to stock with the marks).

2. Air leak or lean jetting.

3. Low coolant flow. Very well could be stopped up radiators, replace or have them cleaned.

4. Spark plug with the wrong heat range.

Forged pistons should be drilled for the bridges, cast pistons don't need to be drilled. However, I never had a cast piston that was drilled for the bridges crack. They will for sure will crack between the drilled holes if you run the piston way to long.

Edited by Padgett

Whom ever is boring your cylinder should already be relieving the exhaust bridge and chamfering the ports. Check with them before you pull out your dremmel.

How about posting some pictures of the failed parts?

And for what it's worth, any bike that has a bridge in the exhaust port ABSOLUTELY needs to have the piston drilled.

Tailender and Padgett are on to something, if the ring is sticking all the way around it's not the ports. You either have an air leak, or are running really lean (possibly from a clogged carb). Granted, we are assuming that you are not doing a bunch of high speed runs up and down a gravel road ~ that would destroy any MX 2 stroke top end.

Ok. Here's a pic. We are running 36:1. Stock mainjet is a 175. It has a 178. Bike idles fine. He may have been pinning it across the lake bed, but hey, we all pin it. This is his 3rd top end in as many times out. I don't think he was going that hard. The cylinder isn't bad and I honed it with a nice hatch. New weisco with predrilled holes ready to put in....125pistonSmall.jpg

Edited by packfill

And when I mentioned the exhaust bridge at the shop that did the bore, the sales guy didn't know what I was tailking about. I think he was trying to get rid of me since someone called in a favor for me. They bored it for $40. And the ports were all chamfered nice.