Sign in to follow this  

taller kx65?

Looking to raise my sons 65 with more than just the shorter dogbones. Was thinking that I didn't want to raise only the rear as the forks are up in the clamps already and didn't want the "stinkbug " look and was thinking that it affects the geometry to much if you go to high in the rear. Was considering bigger wheels and tires?, but don't think it would be worth the expence or effort. What else is out there that has worked? I fitted him on an 85 at the dealer and it was way to tall so I don't think its a real option ,but am not totally against it if the 85 can be lowered quite a bit. Thanks in advance for any help.

if you need to raise the 65 he is probably tall enough for the 85..they dont need to sit flat foot..if he can balance it on a tip toe hes good to go..use blocks at the gate if necessary

but it would be easier to lower a 85 rather than raise a 65..IMO..

if you need to raise the 65 he is probably tall enough for the 85..they dont need to sit flat foot..if he can balance it on a tip toe hes good to go..use blocks at the gate if necessary

but it would be easier to lower a 85 rather than raise a 65..IMO..

I agree.

if he is used to the 65, then the 85 is a easy transition.

I agree, get the 85 and lower if needed. If he is that tall, he will be too strong and heavy for the suspension.

I was in the same boat recently. Only I was just trying to hang on to Christmas for the move/purchase of a KX85. I installed bar risers on my son's KX65 and that helped him a lot. You can also install a tall seat for a KLX110 if you want.

Funny thing is my son transitioned to the KX85 quicker than any bike he's ever owned!

Yea my boy still fit his 65 good and was trying to stay on the 65 for racing reasons, but once he got the 85 it just looks like it was meant to be. He went from a mod Cobra 65 to a stock YZ 85 so the power wasn't a big shock but he said that having the extra room in the cockpit made a big difference

Edited by Jeremysdad

Suzuki and Kawasaki both sell different length dogbones for less than half the price of the Pro Circuit pieces. Still havn't figured out why the identical part from Suzuki is cheaper than from Kawasaki. :smirk:

Suzuki and Kawasaki both sell different length dogbones for less than half the price of the Pro Circuit pieces. Still havn't figured out why the identical part from Suzuki is cheaper than from Kawasaki. :smirk:

A lot of the Kawaski engineered and supplied parts are cheaper to buy from Suzuki and it doesn't make any sense as to how they can do it.