Sign in to follow this  

My new YZ250. Intro & a few questions.

G'day all. Great forum, I have learnt a lot from the info on this forum and is what steered me in the direction of a YZ. So if I'm not happy the blame will be on you guys!

I have been on Husabergs for years & decided it was time to change. I looked at all of the new 2 stroke euro's but the idea of building a bike up to exactly what I want sounded very cool, hence the YZ. A GG 300 was on the list but $12.5k for a bike I may not like after coming from 4 strokes seemed a bit crazy. the YZ cost me $3.8k and I'm budgeting about $4-5k for mods, repairs and set up. Still change from a new bike and the build is great fun.

I have dropped the bike off to a well known local Yamaha tuner, Cisco's, here in Melbourne. Orders are build me a bush weapon that is smooth, torquey, quiet and quick. So far we have a HGS pipe / muffler combo, squish set, VHM cylinder head with the enduro dome insert, mild porting, quality piston, power valve mod, suspension set up for my weight, higher bend bars and lots of other detail bits and pieces.

I have a few questions, if I may.

1st query; I want a decent lighting set up, doesn't have to melt tar but enough that it looks bright while riding around during the day, more for safety. I have looked at the Steahly stator kits and was wondering if anyone else has used them? Reliable? Quality?

2nd; Fork mods. I have seen a few posts refer to a piston mod on the SSS Kayaba's. Worth it?

3rd; RB designs carb mod. I have read all about the head and carb mods but as I have the VHM (change the insert, re-jet and more power!) I don't really have to worry about that but the carb mods interest me. Any one done the carb mods by itself? Worth it? I ride sea level up to about 1500ft max. Ciscos have tuned a stack of YZs so he gets them pretty right on his dyno but if this works better I am interested.

That's about all now. I haven't even ridden it yet as I picked it up, dropped it off at Ciscos and Started dreaming. I will post pics etc when I pick it up or if I get time while it's being worked on.

Thanks fellas and thanks for the info. The passion for YZs on here has bitten me!

Edited by Snelens

I reckon mate, the best approach is to send a PM to Roland Cannon (the moderator) and to your fella Aussie BRM, who's a regular here :bonk:

By the way, what year is your YZ?

I take it also that you ride trails (bush in Aussie terms), enduros, and you're use to lugging coming out from those big Bergs....

All i can say is you have got the best 2T bike platform to start with, solving a heap chunk of what you need to be doing. You should be winning by now mate! :smirk:

For $3K you'll have about every mod you can do to the thing, unless you're buying Ohlins suspension, which isn't necessary.

The stock pipe is one of the best on the market.

You may want to mod the head for @ $100 of go big bore for @ $600.

I like my Rekluse Core EXP. But I'm a lazy old fart.

I got a carb mod for about $125 that is nice but unnecssary.

I've got a damper on one bike and not on the other. It's a sort of unnecessary luxury item that I haven't bothered to duplicate on the other bike.

One of the things about goung two stroke is that even the mods are cheaper and less necessary.

• Like 1

The YZ is an '07. I have a VHM head coming http://www.vhm.nl/?navi=home and am planning on staying with 250CC. The tuner hasnt had a great history with the big bore kits and reckons he can get all the power I need out of a 250.

Yes I'm definitely used to lugging the 'bergs. They're a great bike & I have kept my 06. I rode one of the new 70deg bikes and it felt top heavy and not as "accurate" as my 06. Maybe it was me. Husaberg also seemed to lose their soul with the Austrian switch so I thought I can go the complete opposite now & get a Jap 250.

Yes bush is woods in Australia. Its similar to what you guys ride, region specific except the country is upside down. The middle & bottom eastern corners, hugging the coast being the cooler wetter riding & the top north being wet and sub tropical & then as you move inland it gets into desert country. Tasmania's riding can change completely in 60 miles but rocks are everywhere. Land issues are a problem closer to the major cities but I live in Melbourne and can be at a great riding spot in about 70 minutes.

Edited by Snelens

Steve fom Cisco's did my 265 many moons ago. Has been rock solid except for a replate after too many hours.

I also have one of his 144s.

The HGS pipes are very good but a little soft.

G'day BRM, Im looking forward to picking it up. He is flat out at the moment making up "light weight" wiring looms for the new barges, I mean 450 WRs. Very sophisticated bikes (in an opera singer kind of way).....FAT.

I thought about a bigger bore but will just try & get used to it 1st. Have you done the WR gearbox? I have read elsewhere (Dirt Bike World) that the HGS are thin & soft, I'm off to Stackers for a custom guard as soon as I pick it up from Steve.

Have you tried the RB carb mod? Steve seems reluctant but I would love to try it.

Yeh I have done the WR gear box, 3-5th anyway, have put around 400 hrs on them.

Surprisingly the HGS is very well tucked in and doesn't recieve too much abuse. A guard would be good.

Tell me about "stackers"

I run a power blade in my carb and a #8 slide, it works well. I don't expect that you will get too much out of a carby mod but let us know if you go that way.

You may want to look at the Honda front brake swap and and oversize front disc also. This set up will give you one finger stopping all day and saves lots of energy.

Good luck with it man ! Here's some things that worked for me. I have two YZ's . Electricity is a problem. I have the stator from Steahly ...it has been reliable, but it is very inadequate as far as output... Steahly is a real decent guy but that stator is just weak, and no one else makes one unless you can afford $500 .... If you just need light , you could try a lithium pack online that you can fit in a few places . I have one in the Airbox , stabilized with a few peices of fuel tank foam, super light, cant notice it .

You may get some suggestions about Flywheel Weights , some people like them . I tried an 8oz and a 13oz . They seemed to make the bike too "baby buggy" , and almost gave it an "engine braking" kind of feel when chopping on and off the throttle . I also noticed QUITE a bit of gyroscopic effects from FWW's , making the bike not wana lay over as easy ??? not sure.... A local ex-Pro MX'er I ride with on occasion suggested I try a long throttle tube . I got a G2 throttle tube with 400 cam installed and it allowed me a much greater range of throttle movement (finesse) in the first 1/2 of the throttle , without altering the engine power delivery beyond half throttle , I removed the Fww and i'm happy. So , for me the long throttle tube really helped the YZ for single track and hard enduro riding and it will still explode without hesitation beyond half throttle. As for the forks , I had a 2 stage compression stack done locally and it really helped the bike going thru square edge rock, root, trail trash while still allowing you to hit jumps . As for stabilizers , I had one on my KTM , but Yamaha inherently feels more stable to me with a stabilizer so why add 1 lb to the highest point in the bike ? Just a thought. Another thing , If you're looking for a larger tank , go for the Ty Davis IMS . I got a clark , then I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble turning/cornering ... I finally realized the clark was making me sit farther back when coming into corners. The Ty Davis is very flat and the seat sits much like it does stock , so when you drop into a corner, you can almost drop yer sack right on the gas cap and corner much better than with the clark , downside is you cant change a plug without removing the tank... plug fouling is pretty rare on the yz unless something else is wrong. . Anyway, I switched both tanks, if anyone likes clark better, I have two for sale ... they are fine but I think you can get more agressive with the Ty tank... thats my opinion ... Btw , Ty Davis is very expensive , and they take forever but good product ... lol Good luck with your bike man !

Edited by avocasingletrack