Sign in to follow this  

Tusk dual sport lighting question?

I just purchased the Tusk dual sport kit for my 1993 RMX250. The kit comes with an LED tail and brake light that mounts under my rear fender. As the bike sits right now it has the original rear fender with the original tail light that runs off of the stator. I want to put a new RM rear fender on the bike which will get rid of the existing tail light.

My question is can I use my original wiring to run the tail light? Then I would only have to run the brake light off of the battery pack that is required to run the blinkers and horn.

I think it will work, I'm just not sure if the current from my bike will be too much for the LED tail light. I'm not the greatest with electric and don't want to blow the tail light.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

The LED's will run off AC, but it won't be particularly good for them. LED's, like any other diode, are the electrical equivalent of a one-way valve, and will only pass current when they are connected in a forward bias. AC switches polarity cyclically, so the current will be reverse biased half the time. It would be the equivalent of switching the lights on and off over a hundred times a second. As long as they have the dielectric strength to resist the reverse biased voltage on the down cycle without damage, they'll work. Better to use a rectifier and feed them DC.