Sign in to follow this  

Why don't they?(helmet related)

Why don't they design off road and motorcycle helmets along the lines of some of the newer technology in football helmets. Having played full contact football into my late twenties and starting with a pretty shitty helmet and upgraded to a nice one it seems that some of the technology could benefit helmets. Having adjustable air bladders to to make sure you get a snug fit while offering more support and cushion of an impact. Anyone care to offer an opinion?

I mean can't you get different inserts for the helmet if its not snug enough? I know hjc helmets have that feature. I'm sure most would also. I wouldn't want an air bladder protecting my head, it seems it would be more rigid than the cushion inserts that are in the helmet.

I think you have it backwards. Haven't you heard all the issues of football players with brain injuries due to the repetitive pounding. A motorcycle helmet absorbs and disperses a impact way better than any football helmet. The issue is that it is a one use item. Football helmets are designed to continued to be used after an impact.

i have a scorpion exo vx-15 helmet. it has also air filled pads on the side which can be filled with air by pressing a little button. its very cheap (ca. 150$) and also light. a very good helmet!

I think you have it backwards. Haven't you heard all the issues of football players with brain injuries due to the repetitive pounding. A motorcycle helmet absorbs and disperses a impact way better than any football helmet. The issue is that it is a one use item. Football helmets are designed to continued to be used after an impact.

Exactly. When you buy a MC helmet it says in the safety documentation that the helmet is not to be used after it takes a blow. I know that the hemet makers I have always worn will offer a very good discount for a new helmet if you return the damaged helmet to them.

I wasnt thinking along the lines of making a helmet that can take more than one impact but a helmet that can take that one impact a little better. Also if you look at NFL players , with all the money they have, a lot of players still don't wear the newest technology out (they still wear the older completely round looking helmet which is an old helmet design). I guess researching helmets and reading threads has me thinking to much.