Sign in to follow this  

Clip style chain or Rivet style for xr 400?

I'm looking for a o-ring chain for my 02 xr400. I am looking at EK from Japan or a volar chain. Should I get a clip style or a rivet chain that you have to rivet in. I have always had a clip style master link and have no idea how hard it is to install a rivet style chain such as the volar which has a strength of 8500 lb, cost $46 and comes in gold or red. I am looking at the gold one but am afraid of how hard it may be to install it. Should I go with the EK from Japan which is $51, it is a clip style? There is also a company out of Wisconsin that looks like a upper case P and there chains are about $45 bucks, don't know if those chains are any good though.

Also, will a 120/108 chain fit my stock 45 rear sprocket and a 16 Tooth on the front? I am thinking that it will. I might have to have the chain adjuster on like 1 or 2 so it will fit.

Either one is fine IMO. If you get the rivet style you'll also need to add the cost of a chain tool if you don't have one. Atleast get a chain break tool, extra clip and a chain a few links longer than you need. Cut chain to fit and throw the extra links and clip in your tool bag.

Rain on that rivet style crap. If you've used clip style all this time and had no problems with it, I say don't fix what ain't broke. Strength and reliability of a clip link style are equivalent to rivet IMO. Easier to repair on the trail, also gives you the option for changing chain length for changing gearing combos on the fly.

I would only use clip type..On customer bikes,when chain jammed because.Of small rock(counter shaft sprocket,or wire around wheel) nightmare to get chain off.More easy to get off clip type chain.Hey TR still waiting to ride with you.

Forget the rivet deal, too many hassles associated. I have been riding since 1952 and never personally experienced a clip type failure......did see it once on a buddy's bike, he had the clip on backwards.

Usually, the rivet style chains are for street bikes or race bikes. AMA road racing mandated riveted chains, so I was given a new 0-ring chain from a GSX600. <g>

I picked up a gold o-ring chain street bike chain for half price. It does have a clip on master clip. I should have bought the less bling black chain.

No matter what you get, order an extra master link. I haven't broken a mast link since the 70's, but if one ever goes, you're screwed without a spare.

Edited by Kev_XR