Sign in to follow this  

DR650 clutch within spec, still slipping.

2001 DR650 with a slipping clutch at full throttle. Lever free play is adjusted to within spec. Pulled the clutch basket off and measured everything with my trusty calipers. The friction plates are at .12" and the smooth plates are flat when inspected on a pane of glass. The uncompressed length of the clutch springs is 1.34".

I've run conventional Rotella and the T6 synthetic with similar results. Any thoughts on why a within spec clutch setup would still slip at full throttle?

Only mods done to the bike is the TM40 Pumper Carb and a twin air filter.

Were the friction glazed or the steels burnt ? is there a measurement for clutch pack clearince? I would also check that.

I've seen plenty of clutches that measured out within spec but still slipped.

Come to think of it, most of the slipping clutches I ever bothered to measure were not out of spec.

Just replace it - frictions, steels, springs.

Edited by ProCycle

I agree with Pro Cycle. Many times people overlook the fact that even though each clutch plate is within minimum thickness specification, 20 to 30 hundredths of a milimeter off each clutch plate over the whole stack adds up and is quite a bit of wear.

Tech25

Edited by Tech25

Is this bike new to you or have been riding it long enough to tell a change in clutch performance?

I've always felt the DR650 has a slippage sensation when snatching to full throttle while rolling in high gears. I've changed clutches and springs in mine even though the clutch plates were within spec and it made no difference. Its a relatively mellow bike especially in the high gears.

Edited by T30

Slow on the reply, been busy at the work. Always getting in the way of playtime.

@ T30:

I've only put about 10k miles on it since I purchased it for a total of around 12k miles. It's slipped at full throttle since day one and feels the same recently. So no degredation in clutch operation as far as I can tell, but I still feel like it should grip a little better. Maybe i've got unreasonable expectations? If it still does it with the EBC clutch that arrived in the mail today, i'll live with it.

@ Tech25:

You raise a good point, i hadn't considered to measure the entire stack together to calculate total thickness. Might measure for kicks and giggles just to see.

Main question for this reply:

I'm currently replacing the clutch pack. Soaked the plates in the same oil I run through the motor. I was REALLY dumb and removed that last plate at the bottom of the pack that's held in by the wire in the grooves. While replacing the wire i managed to break it. I was thinking that it looked awfully similar to a middle guitar string, do you guys think I could just use a single strand guitar string to replace the retainer wire?

Decided to use the guitar string as the replacement retainer wire on the clutch pack. It actually seems to be more resistant to breakage while bending than the OEM retainer wire. I'll run it through a couple of oil changes and see how it holds up. I'll take some pics and throw up an FYI post.

Yep

I've had a leg on the little crappy wire break once. Unfortunatley it did it while running. :smirk: Crashed my weekend when that happened until I was able to get a spare. From now on new clutch new wire.

Not sure if this happens on th DR but I had an XR600 that was slipping, everything measured fine but the plate tabs had grooved the basket tangs causing the plates to hang. A little work filing the tangs smooth again solved the problem.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Not sure if this happens on th DR but I had an XR600 that was slipping, everything measured fine but the plate tabs had grooved the basket tangs causing the plates to hang. A little work filing the tangs smooth again solved the problem.

Bruce

+1 This is a common occurrence on machines with higher mileage or harder off-road riding use.

I'll keep that in mind as the fingers on my clutch basket are indeed notched. I'll file them down smooth while i'm in there. Decided against doing a botch job with the guitar wire. I'm sure it would have been fine, but it would have been one more thing to worry about. Waiting on the part to come in.