Sign in to follow this  

Best first bike for 8 year old?

My girlfriend and I are looking to get her son into riding. He is a 40~lb 8 year old. I was looking at getting him on something that if he were to want to run a few races he could be competetive. From what I see KTM is the only way to go.. what are my options?

My girlfriend and I are looking to get her son into riding. He is a 40~lb 8 year old. I was looking at getting him on something that if he were to want to run a few races he could be competetive. From what I see KTM is the only way to go.. what are my options?

KTM makes a fine bike. Cobra motorcycles make a bike every bit as good or better in that class. I assume you are talking about 50cc class. My advice would be to buy a bike that is cheep because your kid will grow fast outgrow it quickly. 50cc this year. 65cc in a year or 2 . After that he will be on an 85cc an on to a 100cc or 150 four stroke then big bikes.

Edited by condor74

I've just heard so much about clutch problems and all with the ktms. Is there other options? There are a few nice deals on Mini Adventures local, but im concerned it will be to small for him.

I've just heard so much about clutch problems and all with the ktms. Is there other options? There are a few nice deals on Mini Adventures local, but im concerned it will be to small for him.

KTM Dad here, not to much in the way of clutch "problems" more that depending on what year you get...The level of maintenance varies. A Mini Adventure is a trail bike and WAY to small for him. You will want to go with a ProSr or Senior Adventure. If your talking about racing track then an adventure will be down on power. Pre-09 bike have clutch washer stacks post-'09 bikes have springs that control the clutch. My son is 5 and races a ProSr and I love the bike. If you keep up on preventative maintenance then you will not have problems. That saying goes with any of the 50's. Good on you though for him being 8 and you can move up to a 65 soon. Good luck with whatever bike you end up choosing.

I am happy that you are getting him into riding. Best times our family has is a weekend at the track. Lots of fun and lots of riding. Plus he will meet so many new friends. Let the fun begin

• Like 1

if he is 8 and wants to race, i would look at the 65 class. if he just wants to learn and not do mx, i would look at the 110 trail bike class of bike.

Look at a small 2-stroke for MX and a small 4-stroke for trails. At 8 years old he will outgrow whatever you buy in a year or two so definately buy used. I made the mistake of buying new KLX 110 for my son when he was eight. Within seven months he was bottoming out the suspension and ringing it out. We ended up trading it for a KX 65 which he physically outgrew in another six months or so. He's now 10 years old and on an 85. Kids outgrow bikes like shoes at this age. Just like buying a car, buy a bike in the best possible condition that is within your budget. As you shop you'll pick up on who is in the sport or riding community. These people have an understanding of bike maintainance and typically take care of their investments.

Have him sit on some bikes at a dealer to get an idea of what fits him. IMO, 50cc is too small for an 8 year old, depending on stature. Two stroke for racing, 4 stroke for play. You may end up trading anyway because of how he wants to ride may not match the bike.

I have a KX 65 for my boy, and it is easily lowered, if needed. For a beginner, track time is more important than a particular bike. If they are comfortable on a bike, they will ride more and develop skills faster.

My boy plays peewee football and I think too much importance is put on "being competetive" at that age. I would rather have a riding buddy for life than a race winner at 9.

• Like 2

well we picked up a 2004 kx65 tonight for $750. The bike has excell wheels, brand new tires, brand new chain and sprockets, pro circuit pipe and silencer and is in great shape.

6833681541_918da1e419_z.jpg

Good Deal! If the hit is too much, you can put a fender washer between the head and pipe, and make the hole bigger as he learns.

If your boy wants to race you only have the rest of the year on it before he ages out on 50's. You are what age you are on 1st of year for remainder of that year.

I agree, look into a 65 size bike. The Kawi and new KTM's have a powervalve which makes it easier to roll on power.

Great looking bike you will have great fun. Kawi doesnt have a powervalve on 65's yet but do on 85's. I would agree on washer in pipe to slow hit or flywheel weight as the kx65 has pretty big hit in powerband for a beginner but will run forever without much work. Just keep a bunch of levers handy or buy some unbreakable cause I think thats how kawi makes money is by selling levers.

tell me more about the washer deal. We could use that im sure!

EDIT: I found some info via search. I guess I'll buy a few different sizes and start at a 5/8" hole.

Edited by JBradshaw426

Great looking bike you will have great fun. Kawi doesnt have a powervalve on 65's yet but do on 85's. I would agree on washer in pipe to slow hit or flywheel weight as the kx65 has pretty big hit in powerband for a beginner but will run forever without much work. Just keep a bunch of levers handy or buy some unbreakable cause I think thats how kawi makes money is by selling levers.

My bad!! I thought they did. I guess I had the 85 confused. Thanks for the correction :smirk:

These do a pretty good job of protecting levers, and hands too. I bought the mounts and made the rest from bar stock. Big bike pieces could be cut down and re-bent. He races a little MX, but primarily races woods.

010ldz.jpg

011zu.jpg