KTM EXC 530 model?

TT members,

I am in need of facts. I wanted a Husqvarna TE610/630 but they are no longer available. So I was gonna wait on the 2012 TE650...if that ever happens. So I thought why not look at KTM's...I will be riding mostly street and a few trails. Could you please tell me if the EXC530's are street legal and can they handle long rides? I'm not into the LC4 line-up...prefer the Enduro/moto inspired rides. Tell me the hard facts please. I'm so confused on what to spend my money on?

Thanks, J

ktmtalk.com is your best KTM specific site with TONS of info on anything you can think of.

Yes 530 EXC is street legal. 2011 was the last year of the 530 and the year that had all the sorted out issues as far as oil pump gear and other fixes. I've ridden a TE610 and its a heavier feeling bike but certainly capable. I have a riding buddy with one and he goes everywhere with it. 530 on long distances isn't going to be comfy but the motor can certainly do it. I love mine. That 2012 350 EXC needs to quit trying to talk to me though ?.

Edited by haknslash

Also be sure to go and test ride the bikes if you can and ask much as you can. I know in my area you can test ride KTM's but not sure about the Husky's. I was sort of in the same decision you are in back when I was looking for my next DS weapon. I looked at the TE610 and liked some of the traits but you can even get full lock to lock bar steering as the forks hit the stock gas tank shrouds. What's up with that? A TE610 would be more liveable if you were doing more street than dirt as opposed to the 500/530 as its more intended for real dirt than anything else as Ud_Luz said. It just happens to come with a tag and street legal...but it IS a racing dirt bike make no mistake. There are trade-off's with anything but I wouldn't of picked it any other way. The KTM's are excellent woods weapons. If that's your thing you'll love the orange koolaid we drink ?

Edited by haknslash

I would entirely rule out the 530 if you're looking at mostly street. It is an excellent off road machine with plates.

I agree, my 12 500 EXC only has 50 miles on it at this point and any street use has been terrible. Seat is bad, vibration is evident at all times (balancing wheels might help), it eats tires even when being light on the throttle. Luckily I have a couple spots to ride within 5 miles of my house and that is about all I can take on it.

Offroad it is a different story, the bike is flat out awesome - KTM hit the mark with the new bike for sure.

TT mebs,

Thank you for clearing up my gray areas in my decision making. After further searching you are correct in your opinions on my options. I am going to look at a 2012 KTM 690R Enduro....so I'm still gonna drink up the orange stuff! ?

Thx, J