Sign in to follow this  

Kick Only Conversion

starting with a SM model.. i want to convert it to a kick start only.. i know i need to get my hands on the kit or atleast all of the parts i would use in the kit.. but i want to keep a key and the option of running street lights. no horn, no fan, no cluster, stripped down..

i know i would need a stator cover for a now e-start.. but i think i read that the non e-start stator cover will not fit over the stator in s/sm..verify?

to remove the battery, i would need a capacitor.. correct? i've noticed, i think, that the voltage regulators are different part numbers..

i've read the added notes for the kicker conversion.. i would prefer to put oem parts inside my motor rather than brass spacers from the depot.. can this be done or are the cases different..?

is there a definitive thread on this that i have missed in the last few days of researching this topic..?

starting with a SM model.. i want to convert it to a kick start only.. i know i need to get my hands on the kit or atleast all of the parts i would use in the kit.. but i want to keep a key and the option of running street lights. no horn, no fan, no cluster, stripped down..

i know i would need a stator cover for a now e-start.. but i think i read that the non e-start stator cover will not fit over the stator in s/sm..verify?

to remove the battery, i would need a capacitor.. correct? i've noticed, i think, that the voltage regulators are different part numbers..

i've read the added notes for the kicker conversion.. i would prefer to put oem parts inside my motor rather than brass spacers from the depot.. can this be done or are the cases different..?

is there a definitive thread on this that i have missed in the last few days of researching this topic..?

Not sure you understand the conversion, nor do I understand what your endstate is.That said..

Kick start only conversion.

New left side crank

New flywheel

New left side case cover

New Stator

New or modified wiring harness

Capacitor

Kick start kit.

That would be a complete change from E start to Kicker.

There is NO difference in a E start DRZ SM or DRZ E. Save the wiring harness differences, but those are re4lated to "extra" SM/S stuff, not the common E stuff.

If you want to run lights..you should keep the S/SM/E stator. and run a small 6 cell Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery.

You can remove the starter, starter gears from the back of the flywheel, starter TQ limiter, you could us ea light weight Trail Tech flywheel, or cut down a OEMS/SM/E flywheel.

It will still have more rotating weight then a real kicker. It will still be wider then a real kicker. But spin up faster then an E start... and run a full stet of street lights