Sign in to follow this  

Adding width to inner knee - gripping bike

So I'm a tall guy - 6'6", and I've had a bunch of trouble gripping the bike with my legs/knees while standing. Riding today, I noticed that if my bike/seat were a bit wider, I'd have a lot easier time of it. Basically to grip the bike, my legs from the front/back end up looking like an "X" when they should be more vertical like - "| |". I have big feet, too, so when I point my toes towards the inside (which helps with grip), my feet end up fumbling pretty badly with the rear brake or shifter.

Anyway, I've heard people mention that knee braces help to grip the bike because they're bulky - which makes sense. So I'm looking into knee braces (because I need them anyway) - can anyone recommend a brand that helps with the bike grip problem?

What about other solutions - do any MX pants or knee pads have extra padding on the inner knee for something like this?

I'm 6'3" and had the same problem as you on my 125. But when I got my 250 after a week or so I got some EVS Vision knee braces. They are bulky, but in our case that's a good thing. I've been using them for over a year and still like them. They definitely do help with gripping. If I don't wear any now my knees will be bruised in the first lap.

• Like 1

I am 6'4" and tried some Asterisks braces. The problem I had with them is that the hinge would hook on my radiator shroud opening when transitioning from sitting to standing position. Tried the EVS also and the problem was still there, but not as bad. I just use knee pads know and they seem to work out okay.

They definitely do help with gripping. If I don't wear any now my knees will be bruised in the first lap.

I feel the same way, I can't ride now without them.

I do like the NEWLY revamped Asterisk's, they seem to have things dialed in properly. I can't wait to get a set, my old Asterisks with the lace system have fallen apart over the hundreds of riding hours.

6'4 with really long legs. When i'm sitting i can squeeze with my knees but when standing i have to use my ankle, calf and inside of my leg to grip. My knee is too high unless i try to grip up near the gas tank.

6'4 with really long legs. When i'm sitting i can squeeze with my knees but when standing i have to use my ankle, calf and inside of my leg to grip. My knee is too high unless i try to grip up near the gas tank.

Have you tried a tall seat? I couldn't grip the stock seat with my knees, but with a couple extra inches it's doable, with knees slightly bent.

I feel the same way, I can't ride now without them.

I do like the NEWLY revamped Asterisk's, they seem to have things dialed in properly. I can't wait to get a set, my old Asterisks with the lace system have fallen apart over the hundreds of riding hours.

I sent mine older version to Asterisk for a refurbishment. They charged me a $150 and replaced the entire lace system, all the padding, and plastics. Basically only left the hinges and frame untouched.

Although next time I am looking forward to the comfort of the new design. Just not looking forward to $600.

I sent mine older version to Asterisk for a refurbishment. They charged me a $150 and replaced the entire lace system, all the padding, and plastics. Basically only left the hinges and frame untouched.

Although next time I am looking forward to the comfort of the new design. Just not looking forward to $600.

Yep, I had a long talk with the design team and owner of Asterisk at the Laguna Seca MotoGP event last year. Really nice guys to spend the time talking with me and learned a lot about the manufacturing and service process. From what I gathered, the new braces are more updated then just the lace system. The biggest problem with my braces is; they've been crashed so many times, they are forming cracks in the paint which means, they are probably on their way out. Maybe I can get them to send me a new set for cheap! :bonk:

I whole heartedly agree though, I'm not looking forward to another $600 claims either! :smirk:

I'm 6'3" with long legs and I've never really had an issue gripping the bike with my knees, though I've always been riding and had knee braces since I was on 85s so that could be why.

As for the new asterisks ultra cells, got a set for Christmas and they're awesome. Far more support than the old cells around the knee joint, they're very easy to get tight on your legs, stay in place well, and are more comfortable than the old design. There also quite a bit sturdier. A plus is they're wider externally in the joint section than the old design which could be beneficial when looking for more bike grip with your legs.

I grip my bike with my boots on the frame above the pegs when standing and clinch with my knees on the shrouds when sitting. No knee braces here, i'm 6' 2".

• Like 2

How are the asterisks for sizing? I am 6'1" and 175

Asterisk has very custom sizes and kinda like helmets, everyone has their own unique fit and feeling. Any Asterisk dealer can measure you properly for braces and once you get measured, then you can shop around for pricing.

Thanks Tye. I am seriously thinking about the tld braces too. They look like a decent minimalistic brace.

Thanks Tye. I am seriously thinking about the tld braces too. They look like a decent minimalistic brace.

Fitment is important and I've tried on MANY braces, the Asterisks fit like custom braces, which is important. None of the other braces I tried had nearly the fitment of the asterisks, they felt loose to wear, which is not good.

Edited by tye1138

So I'm a tall guy - 6'6", and I've had a bunch of trouble gripping the bike with my legs/knees while standing. Riding today, I noticed that if my bike/seat were a bit wider, I'd have a lot easier time of it. Basically to grip the bike, my legs from the front/back end up looking like an "X" when they should be more vertical like - "| |". I have big feet, too, so when I point my toes towards the inside (which helps with grip), my feet end up fumbling pretty badly with the rear brake or shifter.

Anyway, I've heard people mention that knee braces help to grip the bike because they're bulky - which makes sense. So I'm looking into knee braces (because I need them anyway) - can anyone recommend a brand that helps with the bike grip problem?

What about other solutions - do any MX pants or knee pads have extra padding on the inner knee for something like this?

I would recommend getting a taller seat from SDG Seats although I don't know about a wider seat??? I would also get a longer shifter and rear brake. Learn to rider with the balls of your feet on the pegs when you're not using the shifter or brake. You should also have taller handlebars and bar mount spacers. Not sure were to get them, maybe from Renthal.

Hope this helps,

GS

I pretty muchsqueeze with the entire inside of the boot. On the tech 10 the inside is all black and I make sure the entire thing is marked up from squeezing

At your height you might want to consider custom bracing. I had off the shelf braces for a while but felt like they were always falling off or shifting while I was riding. I ended up going to a local orthodics office and they fully casted both legs and made me custom townsend braces. I do not even notice that I am wearing knee braces anymore; However, cost is a little more but if you have any prior history of knee injuries you can attempt to have your insurance cover it. Just a thought.

have any of you guys put skateboard grip tape or similar on the sides of your frame? would it even help?

have any of you guys put skateboard grip tape or similar on the sides of your frame? would it even help?

I have before. It helped a lot but didn't even last one ride and wore down my pants and boots. And then it left glue on the frame and was a pina to remove.