Sign in to follow this  

Hey Everyone New Guy Here with a ttr90 question(s)

Sorta 'inheirited' a ttr 90 that has been sittin for awhile. Got spark(altho seems weak) gettin' gas but will not start. Pulled this thing in second gear behind a golfcart (kick start leg gave up the ghost just checkin for spark) till the motor was practically at operating temp and nada. Imean not a pop at all. Compression seems good. Not blowin back out the carb. Even with a shot of starting fluid you would think it would light up but nope. Checked inside the left cover to find the flywheel intact altho is it normal for the stator(?) to be drenched in oil? seemed a little wet for any kind of electrical system. Im thinkin the bike had spent some time on its side and the motor oil seeped up into places that werent designed to be so...lubed? Dont know where to start. Dont have a manual yet. Gonna try a different plug first I guess but lurkin around here i see the carbs are apparentely kinda finicky .And the killswitch isnt on. What else can i look for ??? Helpppppp jon

Everytime I get a new to me bike that has been sitting up awhile, it pretty much always means the gas has gone south and boogered up the carb...thus the carb needs to be taken completely apart and cleaned...don't just bank on some random/hopeful squirts of carb cleaner getting in there and performing magic. But if you want to try the easy stuff first, drain all of these--Tank, Fuel Line, Float Bowl. If you drain the tank but do not drain the float bowl, then your engine will keep sucking up old fuel first and you will keep losing that leg. And make sure there is nothing restricting the fuel petcock or the strainer up inside the tank.