Sign in to follow this  

Sparky for YZ80 w/ stock pipe

Hey guys - I just bought my kid a 2001 YZ80 today to replace his CRF80 that he was over-riding. I need to get a spark arrestor for it and don't want to modify the stock silencer. I'm not really interested in upgrading the pipe as my kid doesn't need any more power or hit than the bike already has. I'm planning on letting him learn to deal w/ the power delivery so I'm not really looking to add anything. I'm leaning toward a Turbincore II but wanted to see what you guys think.

Also, does anyone have any ideas on ideal jetting for stock pipe for California deserts? It seems quite rich right now; I don't know what jets are in there right now, but I'm fairly certain they're stock.

I've also seen various ideas for gearing. Any thoughts on sprocket sizes for desert / trail riding?

Thanks guys! It's nice to have a 2-stroke back in the house. My son has been wanting one for the longest time - he thinks they're the coolest bikes around!

By the way, I only paid $550. Got a factory manual and some extra plastics and new seat cover with it. Needs a bath, new oil, filter, rear tire and it's ready to go.

-cb

I did look up spark arrestors on the search function but didn't really find any info regarding how various spark arrestors work w/ the stock pipe.

I went ahead and ordered a Turbine Core II. Once it comes in I'll work on getting it jetted right w/ the stock pipe. It would be nice if anyone had any ideas on where to start with that. I also ordered new chain and sprockets even though the stockers are in near new shape. I figured I could mix and match until I figure out what's going to work for him. I got a 13f and a 48r to try.

Here's a photo of how the bike cleaned up. Not bad for for what I paid. Took it for a ride today after flushing the fuel lines and tank. Ran great. I think I'm going to clean the carb again even though the seller said he tore it down and cleaned it just before he listed it for sale.

yz80.jpg