Sign in to follow this  

2012 250SX-F

Here it is Looking a purchasing a new 2012 250SX-F. currently have 09 KX250F love it to death. have a few questions since this will be the first KTM i will possabily purchase and i do not know anyone that has one.

1. How are the valves on these? have you shimmed and how often?

2. Reliabilty with good care? Any reaccuring issues?

3. KTM aftermarket items worth it or not?

4. Suggested aftermarket items ie exhaust, ignition map switch, ecu tuner?

5. Suspension suggestions for better handling? ie droping the front etc.

6. Recommanded oils/lubes? current running rotella 15w40 with no issues at all knock on wood.

7. Suggested means to make the bike as lite as possible ie liter battery

current bike 09 KX250F with 100 hrs on it raced novice class MX. Suspension done by TECH-CARE in michigan, Carb done by tokyo mods, motor completely stock no valve train issues never had to shim.

Love my KX but want to upgrade to FI and like the thought of electric start.

I'm 6' 250lbs going to start working on the weight issue. that was nice about the kx it had the mustard to get me around on the track. I can hang with the upper C lower B class riders and hold my known.

because of the weight i know the suspension has to be done.

Thanks

I have a 350 so not direct comparision.

1. Valves seem to hold out pretty well. I have heard of several bikes lasting 100 hours without shims. Although I would check them regularly. Its also not a huge nightmare to change them if you know what shims to use..

2. These bikes seem to be fairly reliable. Fuel filter is a problem but can be solved with aftermarket filter like Golan.

3. Aftermarket items well worth it.. Exhaust, Map switch, suspension tune, JD tuner. Then there are a bunch depending on what type of riding you do. Skid plate, slave guard, link guard, sprockets and so on..

4. above.

5. Alot of the woods guys have been putting the smaller offset clamps 20mm or 20.5mm to make the bike feel more planted. Sag settings are also a thing of personal perference. Seen guys running 120 and 100 even. I run 109 but I am no expert.. Since you will need new springs anyway, a revalve from a repuatable shop should give you a very good handling package to start with. just fine tune with your sag and fork height and so on.. If you feel the front wonders on you, get the small clamps.

6. Rotella T6 is highly recommended. Motorex is also recommended.. Your choice.

7. Shorai and Trail tech (others as well) make light weight batter that can save you as much as 6-7 pounds I think.. Save weight by getting titanium exhaust, lighter bars. you can do the normal weight saving tricks that you can afford..

I have only been riding 2 years so everything above is stuff I found on this website, threw fellow riders or on other forums..

We've had 2008-2012 250sxf bikes with great results.We alway's have Factory Connection do the suspension work.Bolt on and it seem's to work great.On our new efi bikes.We have Championship Powersports in Wauseon OH program the ecu.We run the Mega Bomb FMF exh system.We upgrade the rim's to the DID Dirt Star STX.Make sure the Airfilter is clean and keep fresh oil in it and it will be GREAT.Hope this help's.

thanks fellow michigander. Championship power sports is were im look to pick up the ktm they seem like pretty good people.

Anytime.Jim at Championship is the BEST.He also vends at alot of the races.So if you ever need anything he is there.