Sign in to follow this  

265 low-mid WR?

Got WR 1-5 gears ready to go in the 250.

Will be doing the top end at the same time (still the original in the bike, unknown hours with previous owner - on borrowed time). Thinking about porting while the top end is off. When you add up the cost of porting and a top end kit, it's not a lot less than just going to a 265. Been thinking 295 for a long time, but with EG's recently announced decision to make that a sleeve rather than just a bore and replate, I'm not so sure. Plus, with the 265, you can get the OTS Wiseco piston at cheap-a$$ internet pricing, so the cost of ownership is identical to stock.

Most of my riding will be off-road with guys who have either WR450/450X bikes or 300XCs. Trying to get close to that mountain goat ability without making things expensive. So I'm thinking low-to-mid porting. If I was ranked, I'd be way back in the novices. I'm 6'4" and 250 lb, so grunt to get me up climbs is welcome.

Who has an opinion to share?

Anyone have actual experience with a low-mid 265?

Subscribed: you're asking about the same questions I was, only I'm interested in the Mo-betta porting.

Edited by mtdirtbag

I had a 94 YZ250 with the Mo Betta porting and the 265 kit and it had good smooth power from the bottom up. I don't know what the top end was like cause I never spent much time there but it boosted the grunt overall.

The only time I ever ran out of oomph on that bike was riding on the Oregon coast on the beach just above the surf on glass smooth packed sand. 5th gear pinned with nothing left.

Edited by SPLATT

As usual, depends on the terrain. For eastern enduro type terrian (rocks, steep hills, etc) the 265 with low-mid is definetely better for B level riders. You A guys might be able to use more. One of my riding partners rides a '05 YZ295-WR ported for mo-betta; it's to much for either of us (I was an A level endro rider many years ago; not so much now!). MY '03 YZ265-WR (with '05 AOSS forks tuned by jeff Slavens and '08 YZ450 tripple clamps) with low-to-mid is definitely better for us mere mortals. Hint: keep the YZ 2nd gear when doing the WR gearbox conversion; makes the 2nd to 3rd gap closer/better. Lastly, you just won't believe how tired you will get on the mo-betta 295 if you are riding it in tight woods!

As usual, depends on the terrain. For eastern enduro type terrian (rocks, steep hills, etc) the 265 with low-mid is definetely better for B level riders. You A guys might be able to use more. One of my riding partners rides a '05 YZ295-WR ported for mo-betta; it's to much for either of us (I was an A level endro rider many years ago; not so much now!). MY '03 YZ265-WR (with '05 AOSS forks tuned by jeff Slavens and '08 YZ450 tripple clamps) with low-to-mid is definitely better for us mere mortals. Hint: keep the YZ 2nd gear when doing the WR gearbox conversion; makes the 2nd to 3rd gap closer/better. Lastly, you just won't believe how tired you will get on the mo-betta 295 if you are riding it in tight woods!

Thanks for that post, now if I could find someone with the 265 & mo-betta to compare with your setup! Do you know if the powervalve has to be modified for the 265 conversion? TIA

Yes, the power valve needs to be shaved just a small amount with the 265. If I still lived in Colorado I would go with the 265 with mo-betta porting. If you get a 295 with mo-betta you better be in shape if you ride any single track! Scot's YZ295-WR with mo-betta has more power everywhere (LOTS MORE POWER!!!); it is exhausting to ride in single track. In 3 hours i'm done and I'm a fit 5'8' at 175 lbs. Note that the 295 with mo-betta would be a blast in areas that are a little more open; it's just that all we ride is single track and most of it is pretty tight. Give Eric Gorr a call and he can help you decide. This is a really tough decision because of our different skill levels and the terrain that we ride in.

Thanks Ken; I had already ruled out the 295 as I suspected much of what you indicated. Our riding is mostly tight single track and a lot of technical climbs, the 265 should just make it a little easier for an ole guy.