Sign in to follow this  

400 To much for for first bike?

Hi,

Looking at getting my first trail bike this year. Im 18, 6'5"ft, 120kg and am going to do mostly rough singletrack to some firetrails. The bike i was looking at getting was the Suzuki drz400e but am a bit worried that it might be abit to much for me. I've also been looking at 250's like the Yamaha wr250r or TTR250 but am worried that these bikes will be to small for me and lack the power to lug my fat a@# around. I'm pretty open to suggestions but would like something fairly easy to ride and be able to easily do work on it myself.

Thanks,

Matt

A bike like a DRZ400 or XR400 will have super mellow power. but still an ample amount for someone your size. They will be nothing like the power for a 450 motocross bike. But will be a good learning bike...i wouldnt go with anything smaller.

DRZ 400 is a great bike for what you want to do starting out. Good power and very manageable. Its a pig though, heavy..... If you start getting into some serious off road and single track you will want to upgrade at some point. DRZ's though are usually easy to sell.

I couldn't really agree more with any of these suggestions. I think that's a great way to start out.