Sign in to follow this  

2010 450EXC - What to look for **UPDATE - Bought It**

I am going to take a look at a used 2010 450EXC.

Anything major to look for?

How does this bike do on the single track?

Edited by bkoz

Awesome bike, and street legal to boot. They do however require some set up to perform. Proper jetting, a fan kit, and lower gearing are the main items that need addressing.

I agree with 556er - I have a 2010 450EXC CE and while it did need a fair amount of work to get out all of the bugs it is an outstanding machine at this point. I installed 13-50 gearing (stock XC-W is 13-52 I believe) which offered a big improvement. Fan kit very important as well as radiator guards - so check your potential purchase out for tweaked radiators if it doesn't already have guards, since it only take a minor fall to bend them. I would also like to see a complete service history since changing the oil and filters (oil and air) is critical. Does the current owner keep more than one air filter? Again, if he did then he was probably in tune with keeping the filter clean.

If the stock turn signals are still intact the bike has been treated well and probably hasn't been off road (or they have replaced them). Plastic seems to be pretty sturdy. Stock seat is hard as a rock - I replaced mine with an Enduro Engineering soft version. Battery has held up well, keep it on a charger every couple of weeks.

I have to say that I'm not that impressed with the turning ability of this bike on hard ground, although that could be me or the tires I chose (Michelin M12 Intermediates). The stock Metzlers are not highly rated as dirt or street tires. I would also recommend a steering damper, especially if riding at high speed on rough ground.

I have stayed with stock main and needle (needle raised two notches), one size higher on the pilot and have had excellent results The stock exhaust tip replaced with a Promoto Billet tip - love the sound. The JD Jetting kit did not work for me at all - way too rich but others have reported good success with this kit.

By 2010 the engine oil issue seems to have been solved - no issues with mine so far. Oil pump and gears can be upgraded to 2011 spec's to add some insurance.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Myself and all my friends with 530's have had excellent results with the JD Jetting kit. We do run the red needle instead of the blue and I'm usually jetting for the 3-6K ft range wich pulls hard all the way up to 10K ft.

Hodakaguy

If the JD Jetting is too rich, then lean it out a little. Most find that JD Jetting works as advertised. I have found that for instance my RFS engined bikes prefer the leaner red needle, and the main jet one or two down from what was recommended. I have confirmed this with a wide band air/fuel ratio meter.

Edited by Chas_M

If the JD Jetting is too rich, then lean it out a little. Most find that JD Jetting works as advertised. I have found that for instance my RFS engined bikes prefer the leaner red needle, and the main jet one or two down from what was recommended. I have confirmed this with a wide band air/fuel ratio meter.

Which RFS engined bikes do you have? I've got a new to me 06 450 EXC that I've not dug into yet. Its on the list for this weekend.

Which RFS engined bikes do you have? I've got a new to me 06 450 EXC that I've not dug into yet. Its on the list for this weekend.

I have owned three RFS engined bikes - - '02 520 EXC, '04 540 EXC, '09 Beta 570 RS.

Inn response to the JD Jetting supporters - I like their kits for Honda's and have had good success installing their kits on that brand. I messed around with the JD kit for almost a year and was about ready to sell the bike because it ran so poorly (flaming out, poor idle, black spark plug). I talked to the good JD folks and they tried to address the issues but none of their suggestions worked. For whatever reason, the red needle and jetting supplied were too rich. When I made the change back to the stock parts the difference in how the bike ran was amazing. The stock stuff works great (except pilot jet which needs to be richer) for my bike so I'm sticking with it. And no, the float height is not out of adjustment. My local dealer, who I trust very much, doesn't think the KTM's need a lot of changes with the jetting except in rare situations (maybe a change to the XC-W or SX needle) and in my case he was certainly correct.

We had a similar issue with a friends Yamaha YZ 250F after installing the JD kit - it ran incredibly rich with the recommended jetting and the red (lean) needle. Don't know what to say except that I'm reporting the truth as I see it.

I have owned three RFS engined bikes - - '02 520 EXC, '04 540 EXC, '09 Beta 570 RS.

Oh...ok...in the past. No wonder I didn't see them in your profile. I was hoping one would have been same as mine.

What does the wide band air/fuel ratio meter do?

What does the wide band air/fuel ratio meter do?

It enables you to monitor the precise air/fuel ratio under all conditions, engine load, RPM, etc. This is the best way to custom tailor ideal carb jetting.

I picked up the bike yesterday:

2012-02-08162712.jpg

Champions Edition, 60hrs and 2200kms.

KTM handguards, KTM skidplate, Sicass rear lights, 14/52 gearing, new Maxxis IT's, new battery and a, wait for it, JD jetting kit.

I will be needing a folding mirror and probably a larger tank.

Is the KTM rad fan a good upgrade?

I will probably upgrade the oil pump gears also.

It's a little loud, is the FMF Q4 lighter than the stock can?

Any other mods that would be required for the tight stuff other than a 13 tooth front sprocket?

What is a good starting point for the rear suspension sag?

And does this model have multiple ignition maps?

Edited by bkoz

Congratulations! I have the 450 version of the Champions Edition and love it. I really like my factory plastic skid plate and the quick remove feature. KTM Rad Fan is almost a must have upgrade in my opinion - keeps the bike from overheating.

I'm a big fan of the Doubletake folding mirror.

Like to hear your impressions of the Maxxis IT's - I'm thinking about getting them for my bike. Having a tough time figuring out a better tire than the Michelin M12's that I'm using now. The front end feels like it wants to wash out. The Michelin's have excellent wear characteristics though.

Best of luck with your new bike.

I picked up the bike yesterday:

2012-02-08162712.jpg

Champions Edition, 60hrs and 2200kms.

KTM handguards, KTM skidplate, Sicass rear lights, 14/52 gearing, new Maxxis IT's, new battery and a, wait for it, JD jetting kit.

I will be needing a folding mirror and probably a larger tank.

Is the KTM rad fan a good upgrade?

I will probably upgrade the oil pump gears also.

It's a little loud, is the FMF Q4 lighter than the stock can?

Any other mods that would be required for the tight stuff other than a 13 tooth front sprocket?

What is a good starting point for the rear suspension sag?

And does this model have multiple ignition maps?

Nice, my friend just sold his 2010 450 Champions Edition last week.

JD kit is a must. Fan is a must if you ride tight single track.

Q4 is about the same, stock pipe is quiet. You can mod the stock pipe and cut the insert for better flow.

It does have a soft setting. You can get a map switch from Sicass and EE among others.

14/52 is not too bad, try out the 13 front. I don't find the range is too bad with the stock tank.

Do not overtourque your 2 drain bolts!

Tranny seems happy with Shell Rotella, regular or T6.

Take the starter off and service/lube it. They are a known issue. Lot's of people I know upgrade to the Trail Tech stator kit.

I don't like the stock seat, I prefer the EE Soft.

R&D remote fuel screw really helps, the stock screw access is useless.

Power Now carb mod is a great addition too...

Bike eats chains and sprockets if they are even just a little too tight.

Congratulations! I have the 450 version of the Champions Edition and love it. I really like my factory plastic skid plate and the quick remove feature. KTM Rad Fan is almost a must have upgrade in my opinion - keeps the bike from overheating.

I'm a big fan of the Doubletake folding mirror.

Like to hear your impressions of the Maxxis IT's - I'm thinking about getting them for my bike. Having a tough time figuring out a better tire than the Michelin M12's that I'm using now. The front end feels like it wants to wash out. The Michelin's have excellent wear characteristics though.

Best of luck with your new bike.

M12 fronts rock, rear sucks. Try an MH3...Make sure you buy the XC's in the S12 or M12.

I can't count how many times I've had to go back and waste a half hour looking for the KTM plastic skid plate after it comes off.

Edited by ckny

Inn response to the JD Jetting supporters - I like their kits for Honda's and have had good success installing their kits on that brand. I messed around with the JD kit for almost a year and was about ready to sell the bike because it ran so poorly (flaming out, poor idle, black spark plug). I talked to the good JD folks and they tried to address the issues but none of their suggestions worked. For whatever reason, the red needle and jetting supplied were too rich. When I made the change back to the stock parts the difference in how the bike ran was amazing. The stock stuff works great (except pilot jet which needs to be richer) for my bike so I'm sticking with it. And no, the float height is not out of adjustment. My local dealer, who I trust very much, doesn't think the KTM's need a lot of changes with the jetting except in rare situations (maybe a change to the XC-W or SX needle) and in my case he was certainly correct.

We had a similar issue with a friends Yamaha YZ 250F after installing the JD kit - it ran incredibly rich with the recommended jetting and the red (lean) needle. Don't know what to say except that I'm reporting the truth as I see it.

450 EXC runs lean in stock form. JD reccomended settings are pretty much spot on for the bike.

Q4 is about the same, stock pipe is quiet. You can mod the stock pipe and cut the insert for better flow.

The stock pipe is definitely not quiet but for most it is not too loud. The Champions Edition exhaust is like the XCW and as such is relativeIy free breathing. I would guess that the Q4 sounds about the same. It is the EXC exhaust that is very quiet. Most people modify the EXC exhaust by cutting out the 'insert'.

Edited by Chas_M

The stock pipe is definitely not quiet but for most it is not too loud. The Champions Edition exhaust is like the XCW and as such is relativeIy free breathing. I would guess that the Q4 sounds about the same. It is the EXC exhaust that is very quiet. Most people modify the EXC exhaust by cutting out the 'insert'.

Yup the exhaust actually has XCW stamped on it. And I really don't think its that quiet. I will probably still give the Q4 a try. I *HATE* loud 4 strokes, especially dual sports. If they can't hear you they don't know your there.