Sign in to follow this  

Cam journal and cap condition. Pics

as far as pressure goes:

does vapor tank vent have to go back into airbox boot to provide vacuum to the head for better oil circulation or in can be routed to vent into atmosphere?

well anything is possible.. The head is the end of the oil system chain, pressure wise, after that is it dripping down to the oil sump.. So loss of pressure effects the cam journals for sure.

Check the oil pump idler gear, and oil pump (including the oil pump cavity in the case) . use a mirror on a stick and a flash light or fiber optic camera to check the oil pump pick up screen in the case, make sure it is not covered with crud. Check the frame tank screen (the one on the oil line).

If all that checks out, button it up, add fresh oil, remove the oil check screw on the back of the head, start the motor as Idle you should have a strong dribble, if you have flow there, pert the screw back and go run it down the road for a few days.. if your interested, remove the seat, tank, valve cover, CCT and cams, and check the condition if no worse... your golden.

as far as pressure goes:

does vapor tank vent have to go back into airbox boot to provide vacuum to the head for better oil circulation or in can be routed to vent into atmosphere?

either, E vents to air, S/SM go to the air boot

Sign of oil statvation. Remove the burr. Don't bother to polish. Looks OK.

Rotella T6 is good

Had a similar problem, but was a result of over-tighting the cam caps( used a shop to install a stroker).

Had about 1000km's before switching to a new cylinder head with no probs.

Cams and caps/guides look like they did when I discovered the mess, too bad I have a full ssw/rhc package on my shelf, but Eddie made me another ;-)

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

Edited by f2dog