Sign in to follow this  

450 advice

Hi,

i am looking for a 450 after years out of the sport (still have a mint 2003 CR250) and always rode Hondas for a local dealer...but Iam looking a all brands. I have a few used bikes i am looking at and wanted to know if you had any thoughts on the ones I have on a short list. I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items... adding a new re-map or an exhaust is fine.

2009 RMZ450 - I read the rev limiter is an issue, but found a really clean one

2010 RMZ450 - do not know much about the 2010

2009 CRF450 - may be quite a few issues ?

2009/2010 KX450F - supposed to be big and bulky, but was top in some shooouts ?

2010 FZ450f - do not know much about the 2010

I have pretty much ruled out the 2009 YZ450 for the motor, I am looking to stay on the low side for cost as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Suzuki all the way.. and def. not a Kawi.. i have owned suzuki my whole life so im pretty dedicated. but i know for a fact you will love the handling of them and the valves i know are better than hondas. sorry i dont have alot of info on the newer bikes as i only know alot about mine which is an 05. and i absolutly love it in and out of the woods.

Hi,

i am looking for a 450 after years out of the sport (still have a mint 2003 CR250) and always rode Hondas for a local dealer...but Iam looking a all brands. I have a few used bikes i am looking at and wanted to know if you had any thoughts on the ones I have on a short list. I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items... adding a new re-map or an exhaust is fine.

I have pretty much ruled out the 2009 YZ450 for the motor, I am looking to stay on the low side for cost as well.

I had the 08 RMZ450: I installed an Akrapovic and never had an issue with the rev limiter but I,m not a revver. Great handling and solid machine. If you get the suspension set up for your style still a very effective bike

I had the 11 RMZ450 also. You can feel the improvements in the chassis (more stability and planted feeling) and mostly the engine with stronger mid range and more top end. Great bike stock and for me was worth the extra money. There is a $700 rebate now on 12 and prior new RMZ450's.

I had the 10 YZ450: Great suspension (plush) and light handling. I did not like the jumpy off idle throttle response and it goes flat up top. Also did not like the super wide radiator shrouds and tight ergos. Great durability with the engine and fun to play with the EFI mapping tool (very easy to make maps).

I have not owned the KX450's but spent lots of time riding my buddy's 09/12 KX450's. They remind me of heavier 08 CRF450's. The 12 model for sure turns better and feels a little more agile. Pretty easy bike to ride and that engine on the 12 model is a velvet sledgehammer.

I still think the RMZ450's are the best cornering and overall handling of the 450F's. Very confidence inspiring and easy to ride. Smooth power encourages you to push harder every lap.

Have fun on whatever you end up with!

Hi,

I have an 09' RMZ and if you put a different muffler (yosh) on it and have the ECM mapped it will rev just like the new ones. Road an 10' RMZ and I honestly do not recall it being any better than my 09' but it was a year or so back.

I road a CRF but I think it was also a 10' so not sure on the 09' BUT it was nice and light... I can not say anything else good about it. Coming off my RMZ and that bike not wanting to turn was scary to me at times. It would jump out of the line mid corner. Also the power was was just not there, though it was stock exhaust.

KX's are big.. I road a 12' recently and I do love my RMZ, BUT that would be one bike I would get if I felt I needed a new one. It was AWESOME in the power. Had decent handling. Suspension was "blaa" not bad but not like a YZ450F SSS smooth. Though suspension should be the first thing you change anyway, so with the motor the 12' has you dont need to touch it in the area.

Never road a 10' YZF that I recall. I know the 10' model does not rev out and but it hits like a truck down low through the mid. I think MXA did a pipe test on the 10's and the Yosh Pipe was rated the best and helped it ton. You will need a linkage arm link or steeper steering angle (triple clamps) to make it handle well... just like the 09' Honda. Yamahas are DAMN reliable too.

Edited by Bkew

the 2008/2009 bike was a good turning bike but was softly sprung. this caused some stability issues in these machines, but if you want to get into suspension and motor mods they can become very competitive rather quickly. the 2010 is essentially the same as the 2011/12 bikes: it has the new chassis and revised suspension which greatly helps stability, without sacrificing its overall handling (actually i find it better since its so "confidence inspiring" as said above) if you can find a rather clean 2010 you will be very happy IMO...