Sign in to follow this  

450 advice

Hi,

i am looking for a 450 after years out of the sport (still have a mint 2003 CR250) and always rode Hondas for a local dealer...but Iam looking a all brands. I have a few used bikes i am looking at and wanted to know if you had any thoughts on the ones I have on a short list. I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items... adding a new re-map or an exhaust is fine.

2009 RMZ450 - I read the rev limiter is an issue, but found a really clean one

2010 RMZ450 - do not know much about the 2010

2009 CRF450 - may be quite a few issues ?

2009/2010 KX450F - supposed to be big and bulky, but was top in some shooouts ?

2010 FZ450f - do not know much about the 2010

I have pretty much ruled out the 2009 YZ450 for the motor, I am looking to stay on the low side for cost as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you a month ago,But i found a clean well maintained 06' KX 450F and super impressed with it so far (only a few rides) but i'm 5'8" weigh a porky 194lb and find this bike easy to handle and power to spare! My 2 cents happy hunting! :smirk:

I have an 08 kx450 and love it..I have over 60 hrs and havnt had to adjust the valves yet..still cranks in under 3 kicks cold and first kick hot..I have talked to a few mechanics and they have all told me the 08 is the most reliable dual overhead cam motor of any of the newer bikes..good luck!

i've got an 09, i have had a fair few issues with it though, it's been an amazing bike to ride, they are big, they feel open in the cockpit, and long, but i find it still turn's well regaurdless, i ride mine offroad and it is stable, and after modifying the engine mounts and a revalve it soaks up the small trail crap very well.

now for the bad part, at 20 hours i had to replace the intake valves, cam chain piston and tensioner because the intake cam skipped a tooth and the valves hit the piston, the replacement piston (which was OEM kawasaki) was .07mm to big, so i had to get yet another piston, around 10 hours after replacing the piston the fuel pump ate it, then opne ride later so did the injector, at around 60 hours i noticed a very slight unusual knocking noise at idle, so i pulled the head off to find over 1mm of play in the big end, meaning i cought it about 5 second before it was due to lunch itself, after splitting the cases i found both mains had noticiable, but small amounts of play in them as well, and the ball's in the ignition side main had started flake, so it's currently apart getting a new crank, mains cam chain and piston.

the oil is changed every 5 hours and filter clean every ride, never been drowned.

with all this said, i think i will be buyiing another one,i've conseaded i got a lemon

Edited by Ttoks

2009 RMZ450 - I read the rev limiter is an issue, but found a really clean one (BIG UN-RELIABLE TANK)

2010 RMZ450 - do not know much about the 2010 (DITTO)

2009 CRF450 - may be quite a few issues ? (EFI IS JUNK UNTIL 2011. IT WILL GO BAD)

2009/2010 KX450F - supposed to be big and bulky, but was top in some shooouts ? (READY TO RACE, LARGE ERGOS)

2010 FZ450f - do not know much about the 2010 (VERY VERY RELIABLE, BUT SMALL ERGOS, AND FLAT POWER

Edited by Krannie

I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items.
09 CRF forks are harsh. I couldn't ride them stock. 09 CRF has handling woes too, but it's sweet when fixed. The clutch is a piece of crap in the 09 and 10 CRF, and I hate it.
I have pretty much ruled out the 2009 YZ450 for the motor, I am looking to stay on the low side for cost as well.
I would have thought an 09 YZF would be just fine. Great stock suspension. It's motor is quite tame, but so what? Edited by numroe

Hi,

i am looking for a 450 after years out of the sport (still have a mint 2003 CR250) and always rode Hondas for a local dealer...but Iam looking a all brands. I have a few used bikes i am looking at and wanted to know if you had any thoughts on the ones I have on a short list. I am looking fo a decent bike with out the need to revalve suspension or fix major items... adding a new re-map or an exhaust is fine.

2009 RMZ450 - I read the rev limiter is an issue, but found a really clean one

2010 RMZ450 - do not know much about the 2010

2009 CRF450 - may be quite a few issues ?

2009/2010 KX450F - supposed to be big and bulky, but was top in some shooouts ?

2010 FZ450f - do not know much about the 2010

Any advise would be appreciated.

09 yz 450f motor is not tame ....once jetted and piped it is a very strong motor....i have read that in some mags but i have owned one...sold it to my buddy who put about 80 or 90 hours on it with no piston or anything and it blew me away how potent it was...you should be able to find one for less than the other brands as well.. Edited by walent215

any of the bikes you list are great bikes. Finding a deal on one in your local market is the challenge. Knowing that you will have to tweak the bike to you riding ability and style will be your challenge. Your weight is a big factor. I am 230 and realized you can read reviews all day and not have a bike that handles well for my fat ass. I resprung my DRZ400 and realized it is still a f-n cow. $500 or $1000 discount on a bike can buy alot of goodies. Take any of these bikes and customize it to your needs and you will be happy. This may not be the advice you were trolling for but I am in the same boat looking for a bike and this is what I have found.

• Like 1