Sign in to follow this  

kdx200 street legal

first of all I apologize if this question has already been asked, I have searched but I could'nt find any info. I live in VA and I am trying to make my 2004 kdx200street legal. I dont want to go on long road rides, I just need to get from trail to trail a couple of miles apart without any hassle from the law. can anybody explain the procedure to make this happen? Also if i do make my bike street legal will it be ok to ride it to town (just a few miles away) considering it is a 2stroke? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

You will have to check your states requirments, some states it is easier than others. My state it is hard to do but can be done but they keep changing the rules all the time.

Ed

In California the government that handles this is “The Department of Motor Vehicles” Not sure of the equivalent Virginia government. But the Motor Vehicle Dept will have all the data you need. Just ask them.

2oldtomx...I just recently plated a 2006 KDX200 here in Colorado. Not sure how close your DMV or county clerk office is, but I went there first and asked for the regulations for how to convert an off-road motorcycle to on-road (I dont even know if VA offers that possibility). My county clerk office was very helpful and reviewed the process, provided the all the forms that I needed, information for who to contact for getting it inspected, and special legal language to include on the bill of sale if no manufacturer's certificate of origin or if it was not notarized.

I dont know how VA rules line up with Colorado, but our minimum requirements are:

• DOT tires
  • One rear view mirror
  • Headlight
  • Tail Light
  • Brake Light (one)
  • Horn
  • One rear reflector
  • Adequate muffler as to not cause excessive noise (this one concerned me since its so subjective)
  • Insurance
  • Bill of Sale (notarized or penalty of perjury language) or MSO

After bringing the KDX into compliance with the requirements above, I set appointment at Colorado State Patrol office to have it inspected. The inspector was easy on me, he checked VIN, engine ID and DOT tires, and didnt even ask me to start it to ensure lights/horn were working. He completed the appropriate paperwork and then I was headed back to DMV/County Clerk to get plates. It turns out to be a multistep process, but at least in Colorado if you are determined (and dont mind spending the money), you can get it plated.

Regarding the parts that I used to meet the requirements:

Mirror: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/1034/-/24701/Tusk-Left-Hand-Dual-Sport-Mirror/MIRROR just a cheapy is adequate in CO

Horn Kit: sicass racing universal horn kit (battery powered - mounted to airbox lid)

Brake Light switch: you need a low clearance one or will need to move the rear brake master cylinder. I used the DRC hardware banjo style. http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/36/24/index.shtml

Rear Tail Light: I used the OEM full taillight assembly from a 2005 WR250F....about $58 including metal plate that goes underneath. It is an exact fit to the OEM KDX rear fender and holds a lot tighter in the rear fender than the OEM KDX tail light. The Yamaha WR250F tail light is a three wire tail-light that includes brake light and tail light using 1157 bulb. I went with an LED 1157 replacement that I got from Sicass Racing because the OEM KDX200 stator doesnt produce enought power to light the headlight, tail light and brakelight at the same time (at least mine didnt).

You will also need to splice into the tail light power to run through the brake pressure switch and then hook into the 3rd wire for the WR250F taillight (blue = taillight, yellow = brake light, black = ground)

Check in the reigonal section. Might find somebody from VA there that knows.

yeah....I hear you. To help your decision, here were my incremental costs to plate here in Colorado:

DOT Tires/Tubes $130

New Tail light $60

Mirror $10

Horn Kit $50

Brake Light switch $15

Insurance $95*

Registration fees $75*

Sales tax on purchase (4.15% on $1,800) $75

* these are annual recurring costs

Right out of the gate, I have $500+ of incremental costs and then ongoing plates/insurance each year. I figured I would try it, but not sure it will be worth it. I swear I could take the occasional $100+ ticket every so often and it would be cheaper in the long run since I am only using the plates to connect from trail to trail and the occasional county maintained dirt road. To some extent, I can recoup some of the cost with a higher sales price if/when I ever sell it.

this bike is amazingly clean(showroom condition) but I am still thinking about mods. I think I want to buy a gnarly pipe, but can somebody tell me exactly what that will do? if I do buy a new pipe do I have to re jet it, if so what size jets do I get?

mine has always had the fmf woods pipe so I cant tell you what it will do in addition to what you have but....I can tell you with the pipe and 42/148 jetting 3 clip down my bike is easy to put on one wheel in 1st -3rd and if you really trying to get the front up it will in 4th-6th gear as well.

the bike is on the very edge of what I would consider too much power...any more and it would have to go bye bye

yes sorting the jetting is easy if you take your time and should be sorted wether you get a pipe or not..BTW i ride in 900ft-2500ft altitude (for previous jetting setting reference)

Not sure where you are in Virginia, but I lived in DC for a few years and had an 85 RZ350 Two stroke street bike. I could not plate it as DC has thorough vehicle inspections. It would have passed every test other than emissions. I had friends in Arlington and am pretty sure they had similar inspections. After my Illinois plate expired it was impossible to plate it there. This was back in 98 so maybe things have changed. Good luck.

Edited by poldies4

what are some good dual sport tires that are good for dirt but wont wear out fast from the road riding