Sign in to follow this  

Anyone done a CRF450X fork conversion?

Looking for insight on stems and swaps and such.

I was on Emig's site and the stem/bushing conversion mentions the CR/CRF triple clamp can be used. Then later in the description paragraph when it talks about fitting the stem bushing it mentions only the CR and not the CRF like it did at the beginning of the paragraph.

So if you've actually done a CRF450X/R fork conversion to your XR600 or XR650L please share your insight.

I don't know if the triples are the exact same or not, but forks diameters are, so either set of forks should fit either triples.

Yes I have some Ohlins forks that are the same diameters as the CRF450X triples. Looking for an easier option than messing with the Ohlins triples. If the Emig stem/bushing kit fit the cr450x/r I'll just use Emig's stuff and buy me a crfx triple clamp.

Or...here's another idea. What do you think?

Thanks. Let me know what you find.

Here's my other idea. Let me know what you think on this regarding my Ohlins/Cannondale triple clamp. The Cannondale steering stem is too long to fit the XRR frame and obviously the bearings are bigger than the XR6. So....what if I:

Remove the stock XR6 steering stem. Remove the Ohlins steering stem.

Insert XR6 stem into lower part of Ohlins triple clamps and have a bushing made and/or weld it into the lower clamp. Then have a bushing made for it to fit into the upper mount. Why wouldn't that work?

M

I'm in the process of putting 450X forks om my 650L. I bought the triple clamps from rswracing.com. You only need the the stem from the L. Mount them up and you are done. I did'nt see them listed on his web site so you will need to email him. Price is very reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that all CR and CRF triples from 2002+ hold the same sized fork tubes. I think they also have the same steering stem dimensions.

Ok so are you actually saying all you have to do is press the L stem into the RSR triples,mount and ride!? If so, that' too easy. What exactly do I ask RSW for?

Is it the top and bottom clamps from RSW or...? How much?

I'm in the process of putting 450X forks om my 650L. I bought the triple clamps from rswracing.com. You only need the the stem from the L. Mount them up and you are done. I did'nt see them listed on his web site so you will need to email him. Price is very reasonable.

Edited by mikesbaron

I paid about $350 for the upper and lower clamps (billet machined alum). Also has mount for scott steering dampner. Found an L steering stem on ebay so I did'nt need to remove the one from my original clamps. You can email Ron at ron@rswracing.com . Steering stops are machined into bottom clamps.

Yep I just emailed back and forth with him. $350 plus stem ain't bad. But...a little pricey for this man's project. I could probably buy a crf450x triple clamp for $50-75 then buy an Emig stem and bushing for: $230. Which gives me around $275 plus shop fees to press in the stem. Either way it's not cheap to do a conversion.

I actually just dropped my stuff off at a local fabricator who says he can make it work. I'll ask him tomorrow how much he thinks I'm going to be into it for. He says he'll TIG the lower XR6 stem to make it fatter, then machine it down to fit the triple clamps I'm using (Cannondale Ohlins fork triples, which use same size fork as the CRFX). Once he gets them machined the right size to press into lower, all he has to do is make a bushing for the top clamp. I hope it comes in under $200. If so, I'll be happy.

In post #1 you talk about the 650L or 600R, and Post #3 you talk about the 650R Frame. I can't comment on the 650L/600R, but I can tell you what I did with my 650R, and that was to use Triples from a '97-'01 CR 500 and just press my XR650R stem into them. Thy are a much easier fit than other CR or CRF clamps, because they use the same size bearings. I did have to relieve the upper clamp 0.236" on the underside because it is thicker than the XRR upper clamp, and I also had to modify the steering stops a bit to get better turning radius, but that was it. Well, there was a bit more to it for me, because I wanted to use my Scotts S.U.B. Mount too, and I did a thread on that HERE, but the pics are now missing in the thread, so here are few of my few pics...

I also used these web pages to help me with what I did HERE and HERE

Mounted.jpg

XRCRDamperSetup.jpg

XRwOhlins1.jpg

Edited by XRandWRRider