Sign in to follow this  

Lifting the DRZ400 onto a dirtbike stand

Use your knee as leverage!

Put the kickstand up, lean bike over towards your body, make sure stand is as close to bike as possible, right hand on rear fender, between you knee, right arm and hip lift bike and swing it on stand.

Or YouTube that shit!

Heres an example!

Edited by Pumpkin450sxf
  • Like 3

Might wanna practice it a few times somewhere NOT next to that window. :smirk:

and if you decide practice isn't needed, make sure you record it :bonk:

• Like 1

stand on the other side. hold the front brake with your right hand and opposite side of the subframe with your left. Then tip it up onto your left thigh and use it for leverage. It takes a bit to get it down but its doable.

get a step pedal lifter stand. The drz is way too heavy a bike to be lifting onto a stand.

Nice looking bike, looks like you scratched the hardwood floors with the kickstand after the first try, get a big moving padded blanket and lay it down first to protect the floor.

get one of those jacks you slide under, and then push down and it lifts up the bike, good luck.

I made two small wood ramps our of some scrap wood that gets it just high enough to slide the stand under. (My stand jacks up). No lifting required. Also use them when loading on my hitch mounted hauler.

Get a lift not a stand :smirk:

First time I did it I put a 2x4 block under the kickstand. Then I lifted the bike so that most of the weight was on the kickstand and a bit on the front tire (rear tire in the air).

I should have just had the gf help but I think somehow I managed to kick the stand under the bike at that point. Since the kickstand was raised by the 2x4 it just barely fit under.

Note: I'm a weakling. No way could I lift the DRZ up on a dirtbike stand the "old fashioned way".

Yeah man I've gotta say get a lifter stand. I have a little FMF that I just slide under my bike, step on it and up she goes...Then when I'm ready to roll I put my foot under the pedal and flip it up and she shoots straight down, and ready to go. Couldn't be easier. That bike is WAY heavier than the bikes these guys are lifting in any of these videos...Yeah, lift stand is more $$ but so is a broken window :smirk:

How many of you can endo onto the front wheel and land the bike down onto the stand? +1 :bonk:

i push mine way over on the kickstand and slide the stand under it then carefully pull it back up onto the stand. alot easier on the back that way. pretty much how the first vid shows but its alot easier for me. either my bike is taller or stand is shorter as i can get mine all the way on the stand without having to lift the bike. and also i stand on the other side of the bike while doing it

Edited by redneck23ms

Go to Harbor Freight. This stand was only $19.99 with a coupon I found in a magazine. Can't remember which magazine, but they advertise in most motorcycle magazines that I read. Probably Dirt Rider. I bought it after lifting the DRZ onto a regular stand a couple of times and determining that it was just too heavy for that.

just ordered a new chain and attempted to lift the bike onto a stand for winter storage. but i just can't seem to lift it. HOW IS IT DONE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgzHzxgI1Vc&feature=youtu.be

-> my pathetic attempt

turn off camera, go across street, climb to roof, mount camera pointing at your window.

turn on camera, record.

unclimb roof, back to your building, try to lift bike again.

disclaimer, do not get between bike and huge plate glass window.

;-)

Easiest way I have found is if you stand directly behind the bike, lift it upright and straighten the bars, then grab the top of the rear wheel from each side (fingers in between spokes, thumbs on tyre tread) and pick it up that way.

Once your back and knees are straight you can hold it for ages like this.

Lifting from the side like in that video takes a lot of practice and a lighter bike IMO, as you virtually have to throw it onto the stand.

There ya go, and sure, it can be done, but might as well do it the easy route especially since you got it in the house and all that. I wish I could put mine in my hiz.