Sign in to follow this  

Good Co. to Re-Cut Valve Seats? Copper?

In the near future I am going to install new Del West valves that I bought a while ago in my '11 KX250F. I know I will at least have to get the valve seats re-cut, and I may go for bronze seats at that time. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with companies to help me decide where to have this done? I don't want to pay a huge amount, but I am willing to pay more to have it done right. I came upon Pro1Racingheads.com a while back and they offer nickel/bronze valve seat and guide install for a very reasonable price, and will port the head for a bit more. I am pretty impressed with them. They have a Serdi CNC valve machine, and they design 5-angle seat profiles for better flow. They also CNC port rather than hand porting.

Do you all think it is important to get the valve guides in copper or bronze too, or if my stock ones are in spec just leave those alone? I read somewhere that the seat does much much more heat removal from the valve than the guide, so it is worthwhile to have those made from a more conductive material (copper or bronze) but not so much for the guides.

I want to have a head that will last a long time, and that is a primary reason for me to get the bronze valve seats. If bronze guides will add noticeable reliability then I will probably get them too.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by drzadam

I know Pro Circuit says that beryllium copper valve seats are the way to go. They offer increased performance AND longer valve life. Only reason they don´t come stock is the price.

If you are performance concerned (I know you are!), go get them!

alright so this is not the most interesting topic I get that, but nobody has any more experiences, good or bad, with porting/copper seats, guides on the '09 - '12 KX250F? All info is appreciated!

I wish I could offer an opinion with this topic, but I cannot. I was looking forward to hearing about this, too. I could drop a name, like xplant, to try and incite a response. I believe I remember him mentioning running the berylium seats or something like that. Hopefully he will jump in...

I had MX Time do my 07' head, good price, good finished product! No complaints. I think they are in Michigan or somewhere like that. Happy Hunting!

I had MX Time do my 07' head, good price, good finished product! No complaints. I think they are in Michigan or somewhere like that. Happy Hunting!

Dave at mxtime does great work. He's in Northwest indiana.. How ever I do not think he can install new seats if you're wanting to go with ber seats

I have a 2004 crf250 that I'm selling right now. The 2004's were prob the WORST year bike for eating valves. I finally got fed up with it and sunk the money into the copper beryllium valve seats. It really did make a huge difference. I had the work done at the beginning of the summer of 2011. I put in a fair amount of seat time this past summer racing hare scrambles and frequently running long 2-hour timed practice sessions at my house. I don't have an hour meter so I don't know exactly how many hours I've put in, but before I did this work I know I would have had to at least re-shim the valves by now. The valves have stayed perfect and I haven't had to re-shim since I got the work done. I recently took the head apart to see what the valve seats looked like and they still look great. If you're having valve problems and you can afford it, go for this upgrade.

EDIT: to add that I had the work done at http://fastheads.com/ They had a real good turn around time and were quick to answer any questions I've asked them.

Edited by motoxracer408