Sign in to follow this  

Fixed the XL's clutch, abused it more

The XL175 developed an issue with the clutch last time I took it on the dirt - it would get stuck open. I fiddled with the cable tension (again) and whacked it with a mallet on the clutch side, seems to have fixed it! Ha!

The DT175 loves to be rode. I got it after it had sat, and while it did run, it would lean out and bog as soon as I hit 3rd gear and went over 40. Since then I added an inline fuel filter, have been treating the fuel with seafoam, and it seems to get better and better. Yesterday I took it out and just ran it hard, it got up to 50 on pavement and was a damn fun time in the dirt.

Anyhow, here's a couple pics from yesterday:

PUjQP.jpg

j0d8Z.jpg

This stuff is so much damn fun. I do know that the Honda needs some DOT knobbies, and the Yamaha just plain needs new (not cracked) tires so it's gonna get some DOT knobbies too. I tried my first hill climb on the DT and it RULES. Put it in the pipe and HANG ON! hahahaha

although your bikes, and I am glad they are brining you joy, you have a couple of nice bikes there that just don't deserve abuse. The XL 175 appears all there and a very nice survivor of the decades since it was new. I guess because I am a purist, (as I have been called) I hate to see nice bikes go down the tube - maybe you just don't know what you have - or it is what you want to do with them, certainly up to you. Just a crying shame. The only thing that is enlightening in your post, is the fact that you had such a nice time out on an unusually nice day in Washington in February (I am in Washington to - wet side of the mountains on whidbey island) .

If your diggin riding in the dirt and if you can, save the old bikes and restore or sell them to someone whom will appreciate them. New technology bikes will really make you smile off-road. Just my humble outlook..

I use the word "abused" as a bit of an exaggeration, we're relatively gentle with them. I figure this is the best thing you can do for bikes like these; use them for their intended purpose, and run them regularly. Something always makes me sad about the $5000 garage queen restos that will never see a splash of mud, even though they're certainly pretty.

I am fairly certain neither of these are particularly classic machines anyhow. The XL has a reputation as a pig and its rotted exhaust is likely going to cost as much to replace as I paid for the bike, if I am going to do it right by the purists.

The DT is a pretty common find, often in better shape, this one was legitimately abused and I am surprised every time it starts - almost anything that can fall off or break is a cheap aftermarket replacement.

I clean them off, fix broken pieces, keep them running, and park them in the garage. It's way better than letting them rot in the elements like too many end up doing.

I've got a view of south Whidbey from my house. /waves

Edited by unlucky1

Glad to hear you are having fun with your new toys, looks like you have a nice place to ride!