Sign in to follow this  

'98 XR200 motor teardown

Hi, well just wanted to start off by saying hello to everyone here because I am new here, well I visited this forum before but as a guest.

I've had this 1998 XR200 for 11 years now, since I was around 8 years old, and sadly last summer the engine seized up :bonk: and I wont get take it to a shop to get it fixed because lets face it, it ain't worth much anymore so I figured might as well try and do it myself, so yeah now it's in the garage on my bike jack.

I consider myself not too bad of a mechanic, like I'm good with anything that isn't inside the motor, so yeah this outta be an adventure :lol:

So okay, yesterday I started by removing the cylinder head bolts and figured out quickly that I can't just remove the head like that without taking the hole motor off of the frame...right?

But the real issue for me is that I don't know what to do with the camshaft and timing chain and the crankshaft, like when I'll go to put it back together how will I know if all three, or MORE, are at the right place, like for example having the intake valve open while the piston is compression, you know! :smirk:

So yeah if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated and any questions I will answer ASAP

Thanks in advance

Its not all that difficult. Yes it has to come off the frame. I HATE that. But it's easy enough. my suggestion is to buy a factory service manual or a clymers. They will help you greatly with finding how to disassemble and reassemble the motor and other components. It also helps a lot because it will tell you what to torque certain bolts to and what specs are required on what parts. It's been a year or so since I had to do it but I know you have to either remove the stator cover on the left case or at the very least get the smaller sight cap off of the top of the case so you can look in and see the flywheel. You will see different markings on the edge of the wheel. With the line and O lined up to the little pointer hanging down from the case you assemble the cam chain and sprocket with the lobes on the camshaft down and the circle on the cam sprocket directly up in line with the cylinder. Some people know a lot more about that then me here, but I followed the book and both my xr's run fine.

It's much easier to understand when you can read through the book and look at the pictures and stuff. I think they go for 30-40 bucks or something. Well worth it.

Good luck, let us know how you make out!

I have just recently completed two of these and....... what he said get a manual. you will have to take it out of the frame and bench strip and reassemble. I use small containers to but all the nuts an bolts into as I remove the parts. If it is seized only then chances are you may not have to split the case but if you have transmission problems or have run the bearings then a case split is on the cards. I also rewired mine at the same time. It is not a complicated engine to recondition but there are a few special tools. Most of these you can make at home. There are also little tricks you can do removing some parts. Have a clean and clear bench surface and time. I will try to assist where ever possible if I can. Good luck.

Ohh..... and search xr 200 threads and old post's, there is lots of really good information here from tt's that have been through this already.

Ok so I got my engine off the bike and my service manual came in, so pretty much just now I took the cylinder off,which wasnts that hard, and thats when I found out the real problem... it seems the conmecting rod is jammed on the crankshaft....? Thats was the LAST thing I thought it happend.

So yeah, I guess Ill be going deeper than I thought eh?!