Sign in to follow this  

2012 300!

I've had a number of RM's over the years.

Raced vintage MX a long time ago on a '81 RM250 and even won a state title with it:

81%20RM250.JPG

Spent a number of years on a 1990 RM250, an excellent machine in it's own right:

90%20RM250%20Aug03bb.jpg

Loved my '02 RM250:

2002%20RM250%20R25.jpg

And loved my '08 RM250 even more:

08_i_r.jpg

Had a ball with my '96 RMX:

96rmx250b.jpg

And I even tried the 4 stroke thing on a '08 RMZ450:

08_RMZ450_Aug_09_L.jpg

I do still have a DRZ that I use for saving gas going to work and the occasional dual sport run:

DRZ_Oct%202011_b_r.jpg

But now that Suzuki has abandoned the 2 stroke market I'm forced to change colors. If they offered a "new" RMX-250 (or 300 ...) or maybe even tried to get the RMX-450 back into the US I might have been swayed. But they haven't so now it's time for me to vote with my wallet and upgrade:

So here it is, a 2012 KTM-300XC-w !!! Picked it up yesterday, reading the manual now, but a quick ride around the yard pegged the fun-meter!

2012%20KTM300XC-W%20Feb%202012_b_r.jpg

Sorry Suzuki, I just can't wait anymore.

• Like 1

Once they realize that 4 strokes are too expensive for most guys to own/maintain, they will go back. I hope!

Man, all your bikes looks so clean. Thats 300 looks pretty sweet! Hope you enjoy it as much as your Suzukis.

There's a coin operated auto car wash about 2 miles from my house, I use it everytime I come back from riding. Never had a problem with using a high pressure power wash, and it makes it easier to do regular maintenance. I think that I'll like the 300, I just wish that Suzuki would make one (a 300 2 stroke).

Once they realize that 4 strokes are too expensive for most guys to own/maintain, they will go back. I hope!

I do too. I partly think that the Japaneese have some sort of agreement about not importing 2 strokes. That doesn't explain the YZ125 and YZ250, but supposedly they sell everyone that they import ~ and at full list price, so why wouldn't Suzuki bring the RM250 back?, I don't know. Maybe more guys need to be like me and jump ship, eventually they'll get the message ~ or sink. And I really do not want to see that happen, I'd just like to see Suzuki start selling a 2 stroke again and maybe even build a 300 6 speed 2 stroke.

Edited by zig06

I bought my first KTM 2011 450SX F about 1 1/2 years ago and its been a great machine!

I just bought a KTM 2012 250 SX. KTM just cracked the 50 hp mark stock! MXA changed the silencer, pipe and put the 300 SX kit on it for 57 hp. That's more than most 450s!

I'm thinking of letting the RM250 go but I can't bring myself to do it just yet!

Zig, there's some great looking bikes there- that 90 brings back some memories. Yes it's a shame that you've had to go KTM but it looks like the only way left now for all of us. Though the TMs are tempting.

You should post your line-up on Suzuki's facebook page, might be interesting to see the response

http://www.facebook.com/suzukiscoopfans?sk=wall

I bought my first KTM 2011 450SX F about 1 1/2 years ago and its been a great machine!

I just bought a KTM 2012 250 SX. KTM just cracked the 50 hp mark stock! MXA changed the silencer, pipe and put the 300 SX kit on it for 57 hp. That's more than most 450s!

I'm thinking of letting the RM250 go but I can't bring myself to do it just yet!

Where did you see "57hp" in the MXA? I'm looking at that issue right now!

Where did you see "57hp" in the MXA? I'm looking at that issue right now!

It was a couple of issues back. Im at work right now so I'll have to check when I get home. The write up was magazine only and not online. It was the issue where they gave all the different bar heights and riser info for KTM if that helps. That article is what made up my mind for the SX250 purchase!

Very nice bike! I was checking the 300 out a few weeks ago and rode one of the Husky 300's WOW is all I can say so much power but one cant go wrong with KTM, hope you get the enjoyment you got from all the RM's.

It's gotta be a bitter sweet feeling!!!!!

It was a couple of issues back. Im at work right now so I'll have to check when I get home. The write up was magazine only and not online. It was the issue where they gave all the different bar heights and riser info for KTM if that helps. That article is what made up my mind for the SX250 purchase!

It was the October Issue of MXA on page 66. I screwed up in my earlier post when I said they put the 300SX kit on. They only changed the pipe and silencer. It was a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer that extended the RPM range to 9500 rpm and made 57 horse with no other modifications. Incredible for a 250!

Zig, there's some great looking bikes there- that 90 brings back some memories. Yes it's a shame that you've had to go KTM but it looks like the only way left now for all of us. Though the TMs are tempting.

You should post your line-up on Suzuki's facebook page, might be interesting to see the response

http://www.facebook....oopfans?sk=wall

This is a great idea! I just got done posting a tastefully honest letter to Suzuki. Let's see how long it lasts!

I know the feeling, my '08 RM250 was a great bike. But for woods riding and Hare Scramble racing for me it's just the wrong tool. First impressions with my KTM make me think that with less effort I will be faster, you gotta love that! If Suzuki would just build a modern RMX (300, 6 speed, 2 stroke) and keep the production numbers just high enough to sell the entire lot from year to year then they would have a winner.

This is a great idea! I just got done posting a tastefully honest letter to Suzuki. Let's see how long it lasts!

I know the feeling, my '08 RM250 was a great bike. But for woods riding and Hare Scramble racing for me it's just the wrong tool. First impressions with my KTM make me think that with less effort I will be faster, you gotta love that! If Suzuki would just build a modern RMX (300, 6 speed, 2 stroke) and keep the production numbers just high enough to sell the entire lot from year to year then they would have a winner.

I've been a Suzuki die hard since the early 70's. Every other bike I've ever owned has been Suzuki! I own an RMZ450 but after I spent over $2500.00 for a top end rebuild after I bought my KTM 450SX-F... I'm over the four stroke thing! Yes, I spent a little extra on the RMZ by having the head work done with a port job by Pro1Racing and opted to replace the cylinder with a new one rather than a plate job but it still would have been around 2K at 450 hours. This is no longer acceptable to me.

I've decided to move back to two stroke primarily for operating cost reasons. They're just less maintenance intensive and cheaper. Suzuki has shot themselves in the foot by not giving people a choice anymore! Other than some of the other Euro bikes the only other option for two stroke would have been blue. 44 horse blue vs 50 horse orange with the ability to exceed 55 horse orange with just a pipe and silencer change! Orange got my vote for two stroke. Sorry if anyone feels I've highjacked the Suzuki two stroke forum but truth is truth. I don't regret my decision to purchase orange and both of my KTM's have been great so far. I still own my "07" RM250 but I don't know for how much longer? Good luck Suzuki and no more orange talk from me in the Suzuki forum!

Those are some great looking bikes. I dont see posting about an orange bike in the Suzuki forum to be a bad thing. The point of the thread is an open protest to Suzuki to build a bike that want. It is no different then writing a letter to your congressman to get him or her to vote one way or another. That does not make you anti American. Buying a KTM because they offer the product you want. It is obvious that if Suzuki and KTM both made similar products, the majority of people in this forum would buy the Suzuki. That is one thing that KTM does the best of all the manufactures. They build the bikes that their enthusiest want. They build a full dirt bike with a plate. They build a modern high powered 2 stroke in 125 150 250 and 300 cc flavors. They then build a wide veriety of 4 stroke bikes from 250s to 350s to 450s to 530s to 690s. They build trail bikes, motocross bikes, dual sport bikes and adventure bikes. The Japanese manufactures build a good 4 stroke motocross bikes but dont feel it is worth the trouble to make all the "nich bikes". They know they can build a 250 and 450 motocross bike and then maybe spin a trail bike with a concentrate on building street bikes.

The only way to protest is to do exactly what the original poster did and jump ship.

Nice bikes and i dont blame you for going ktm if i had the money and wanted a new 2 stroke thats the bike i woul have got hands down.

I will also be watching to c if you get any comments on the pic you posted on suzukis facebook fan page

Awesome bikes! Too bad you couldn't keep them all! Your suzukis were all very clean good looking bikes, and that brand new orange bike makes me drool!!! Have fun with it!!!

you will havce to let us know how it feels compared to your 08 rm

Will do.

In the mean time I checked the Suzuki Facebook site and within 12 hours my posting was pulled. I didn't say anything that down graded Suzuki, just wanted to express what I've done here on TT. In any case, I think that I at least hit a nerve. The pic of the KTM might have had something to do with it ...

Maybe we should start a campaign of some kind, like everday someone should post something on the Suzuki Facebook page about bringing back the 2 stroke. Here's a link to their page, be kind but direct: http://www.facebook.com/suzukiscoopfans?sk=wall