Sign in to follow this  

Too heavy for a 125?

Hi everybody,

I'm getting back into the riding scene after a few years. I've ridden mostly 125's because of my height (5'4), and I feel most comfortable and confident on a bike that I can control & muscle around the track with ease. They are cheap & easy to maintain. Plus, 125's are just WAY too much fun to give up :) My budget is $2200 and I know I can find plenty of decent 125's in that price range. Here's my dilemma: I put on some pounds over the years and I'm now at 185lbs, without riding gear. I really don't want to upgrade to a 250 2-stroke because I feel the power output is WAY above what I can handle safely. I'm not so thrilled about a 250 4-stroke, even though that's where the industry & technology is going. If I had the money, I would no doubt get a brand new KTM SX150, but a new bike at the moment isn't an option for me. I want to ride and have fun, but at the same time I don't want to kill myself on a bigger bike. Any suggestions?

I'm 180lbs and my 10 year old box stock 125 pulls me just fine. Picked this baby up for $800 a couple years ago and I seem to ride it way more than my four strokes. It's just way too fun to pass guys on brand new 450's :smirk:

http://vimeo.com/12108371

no, you are not to heavy... plenty of guys your size riding 125's!!! Suggestions? Buy a 125 within your budget , ride the daylights out of it and have fun.

Im 200 lbs and love my 125 I race A class and dont have a problem riding with the 450s. You have to just hold it wfo all the time but you can make it scream.

Try to find you a 05+ yz125 06+ is even better and as soon as you get it put a piston and rings in it. Dont even think about it just do it it will cost you around $130 I recomend wiseco.

Used KTM 200 EXC, KTM 200 XCW, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KDX220. Nothing wrong with the 125's but these bikes have a bit more low end power than a 125 and dont weigh that much more. Not sure if you can find a KTM 200 in your price range..maybe a '03-04. Last year of the KDX200 was '06 and '05 for KDX220. Most KDX's would be in your price range.