Sign in to follow this  

Try to revive a dormant pig

My uncorked 2003 xr650r sat for about a year, with no care and old gas. Before it sat it was uncorked by myself, and jetted by a honda tech and ran great. But now, after deciding to keep it, trying to start it is proving to be hard. I adjusted the valves and cleaned the carb for what I could, the pilot was full of crap. The bike will start every now and then, but will die soon after, and sometimes it won't start at all as if it wasn't getting any spark, but the plug has been changed. Are there any common problems that I am overlooking, or could I just need to really clean out the carb more, I am at a loss.

I would clean the gas tank out and rinse it with fresh feul, remove the petcock and clean it as well to make sure no sludge is stopping it up and fuel is flowing well. Clean or replace the fuel line and reclean the carb. Every little nook and cranny in it must be clean. Just seeing light through the holes in the jets sometimes isnt clean use a single wire from a wire brush or the like to make sure nothig is in the to clog it up.plenty of carb cleaner to be used.

Cleaned out the pilot? Can you explain a little more of how you did this? Simply spraying carb cleaner through the holes is NOT sufficient to clean all the varnish out of the small pilot circut holes.

Using an ultrasonic machine, or running a small wire through the holes (after a good pre-soak) will do it though.

Edited by akarob

Give em a box of donuts... or fly by them at 90mph it a 25 zone and you'll revive more then one. :smirk:

As for the carb keep cleaning. a small amount of varnish will cause a lean condition.

(The other posts explain what you probably need to do nicely)

Edited by TNTsXLR

You can replace every part on the fuel system, or...

Buy a new pilot. It is really tough to clean them.

Clean the other passages out with air and solvent, put in a new pilot, and the bike will probably run like new. Of course, get some fresher gas in the tank.

Hmm..I'd have to disagree about a Pilot jet being hard to clean,

All it is is a tube with the central hole in it and a heap of tiny

(smaller than a pin) holes on both the sides of it. All it needs is

all those tiny holes clearing with a strand from a wire brush or something

equally as thin., The tube the main jet screws into also has a heap of those

tiny holes on both sides of it, They also require clearing with the wire brush

strand as well does the main jets central hole. You want to get super fussy

soak all those bits in carb cleaner as well. I cannot reiterate enough that

the tiny holes on the sides of both the Pilot and the tube the main jet

screws into need to be clear of any obstruction. Simply clearing the central

hole on either Main jet or Pilot is not adequate.

Hey Stand',

You need to remove the carb. That's step one. Then you can clean it, completely and correctly. Just dropping the bowl with the carb on the bike won't do it. Sitting for a year you can guarantee that the carb is yuckko and the remaining gas in the tank is crap. Drain the tank, pull/clean/replace carb and you'll be riding within an hour.

The pilot is flowing nice an easy, all the crap cleaned out of it, but still nothing. Im getting spark but no ignition. It started up first kick and ran for less than a second. Im done with it, gonna let my honda tech friend deal with it, I gave it my best shot. And it has had new gas ever since I tried restarting it. I am out of ideas, time to pay up.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Horri, I know it is physically possible to get a pilot jet clean, it is just imprecise, and time consuming for a $6 part. It gets down to time better spent elsewhere, and a new one is a guaranteed cure of a plugged pilot. All personal preference, I suppose.

Call me a greeny or do-gooder if you like but if everyone went around chucking

everything away just because it was blocked or broken down the waste would be incredible,.

Not that it already isn't. I'll also say that may be only a $6.00 part in the US

but it would be 3 times that to buy that part here. You don't find motorcycles

just parked up in garages/sheds down here and left as junk as people know the value of objects.

Anything you buy in the US is 3 times as cheap as just about anywhere else

in the world..No sense of value or perspective I'm afraid.,and don't get me started

on the $15,347,959,197,812,54 you jokers owe someone,,Politics and rave,,done

Edited by Horri