Sign in to follow this  

Idle help

Have a 2009 crf 150r expert.

It will start cold fine I pull the choke out twist the throttle 3 time and after 2 kicks its fires up.

But over the last 2 weekends when the bike is cold it will only idle for like 30 or 40 sec and then die.

It will only idle after a good 3 to 5 min warm up.

I tryed truning the idle up some but as soon as it warms up it then idles to high.

I clean the filter after every ride and keep up on the bike.

Should I pull the carb and give it a good cleaning? and if so do I use carb cleaner or what.

Thanks Ron.

Have a 2009 crf 150r expert.

It will start cold fine I pull the choke out twist the throttle 3 time and after 2 kicks its fires up.

But over the last 2 weekends when the bike is cold it will only idle for like 30 or 40 sec and then die.

It will only idle after a good 3 to 5 min warm up.

I tryed truning the idle up some but as soon as it warms up it then idles to high.

I clean the filter after every ride and keep up on the bike.

Should I pull the carb and give it a good cleaning? and if so do I use carb cleaner or what.

Thanks Ron.

I have 2 of these bikes. It is normal for them to take 5 min. to warm up. You shouldn't do any adjustment to the bike unless it has fully warmed up. (5-10min. for this bike)

I don't think it is necessary to clean the carb. If you do, be careful, carb cleaner can damaged rubber parts like o-rings & diaphrams etc.

Cleaning your air filter frequently is a critical element in proper maintenance (GOOD JOB!!)

You may want to check your valves. If not adjusted properly your bike will not run properly.

This is what they should measure:

In inch you want .010 +/- 0.001 on the exhaust valve = 0.011+ to 0.009- inch

In inch you want .006 +/- 0.001 on the intake valve = 0.007+ to 0.005- inch

Edited by mark seitz

If it started suddenly after sitting for a bit, clean the pilot jet (welding tip cleaner) or replace it.

If it started suddenly after sitting for a bit, clean the pilot jet (welding tip cleaner) or replace it.

I can say it did set for a bit maybe a month or so. I got hurt and my wife started all 3 of our bikes once a week and they ran for maybe 2-3 min.

The bike runs fine just will not idle when cold for the 1st 3-5 min or warm up time.

I may have to take the bike into the shop I can not use my left arm after my finsh line crash so hope they do not charge to much.

Thanks for the info guys'

Ron.

I can say it did set for a bit maybe a month or so. I got hurt and my wife started all 3 of our bikes once a week and they ran for maybe 2-3 min.

The bike runs fine just will not idle when cold for the 1st 3-5 min or warm up time.

I may have to take the bike into the shop I can not use my left arm after my finsh line crash so hope they do not charge to much.

Thanks for the info guys'

Ron.

Thats a GREAT wife!!!!!!!! There's not too many guys that can say their wife would do that. Ron, you might want to consider putting Seafoam or Sta-bil in your fuel. This will preserve the fuel for several month and your Bride won't have to start the bikes every week as well.

Did you try letting the bike warm up for a good 5 min. This may save you some money...

Thats a GREAT wife!!!!!!!! There's not too many guys that can say their wife would do that. Ron, you might want to consider putting Seafoam or Sta-bil in your fuel. This will preserve the fuel for several month and your Bride won't have to start the bikes every week as well.

Did you try letting the bike warm up for a good 5 min. This may save you some money...

Yea I was lucky when i got her.

I have two 150r one is my daughters and the other is my wifes bike. My wifes bike fires right up when cold and will idle all day long.

The other 150r will only idle if you keep giving it a little gas as it idles or it will just die. But after a ride down the trail all is fine.

So it looks like the valves my be whats wrong and need adjusted.

Ron.

Edited by Ron731

I am having simular issues. I just ordered new jets for my son's bike. I am hoping that helps. I received a lot of information in my post you might want to check it out. I think mine may just need the jets cleaned but everyone is recommending bigger jets. I figured if I am going to take the time to pull them I should replace them. My local shop did not stock them so I had to order them online I am hoping to have them in next week. He is just learning to ride a real bike so I am not looking for a performance improvement just easier for him to get started. I ordered a 140 and both 92 & 95. I am going to start with the 92 and see if that combination helps.

I don't know a lot about bikes but I thought valves out of adjustment = hard or next to impossible to start?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/938598-cutting-out/

I am having simular issues. I just ordered new jets for my son's bike. I am hoping that helps. I received a lot of information in my post you might want to check it out. I think mine may just need the jets cleaned but everyone is recommending bigger jets. I figured if I am going to take the time to pull them I should replace them. My local shop did not stock them so I had to order them online I am hoping to have them in next week. He is just learning to ride a real bike so I am not looking for a performance improvement just easier for him to get started. I ordered a 140 and both 92 & 95. I am going to start with the 92 and see if that combination helps.

I don't know a lot about bikes but I thought valves out of adjustment = hard or next to impossible to start?

http://www.thumperta...98-cutting-out/

I've heard of a 140 main, but never heard of using a 92 or 95 pilot. You may want to check your numbers. I've heard of using a 45 or 48 pilot

Sorry, you are correct 42 or 45 pilot. I am going to start with the 42 and go up to 45 if needed. I think part of my problem is this messed up east coast winter weather we are having this year. One day it is 70 degres and the next it is in the 30s. We are trying to ride as much as possible on the better days. Luckly we have had more good days than bad this year.

I took the bike into the honda shop wed.

Got a call today and was told one of the valves was to far gone to be adjusted and they have to pull the head and replace the valve that's bad. Dose this sound right? or do all valves wear at the same time.

But I asked how much he said he would charge me. He said just 3 hr at 84.00 a hr and around 75.00 in parts + or -

Ron.

I took the bike into the honda shop wed.

Got a call today and was told one of the valves was to far gone to be adjusted and they have to pull the head and replace the valve that's bad. Dose this sound right? or do all valves wear at the same time.

But I asked how much he said he would charge me. He said just 3 hr at 84.00 a hr and around 75.00 in parts + or -

Ron.

Make sure they are going to be grinding the valve seat on the one they are replacing. If they say it doesnt need it or they arent going to do it go get your bike and take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I would personally have the entire head inspected for things like bad valve guides, seals and valve seats. Replacing just one valve seems like a waste of time, may as well replace all the valves and start with a fresh head.

Edited by Keith72