Sign in to follow this  

Is dirtwise worth it?

Thinking about taking Shane's class. I've rode all my life and spend 3 years racing. I've worked into a slow to mid B rider. I'm torn on spending the time and money for the class. It's 5 hours of travel and two days. I figure I'll have 5-800 dollars invested total. I can race 1/2 a season on that.

Is it truely worth that kind of investment. I mean with say 15 people in a class for 8 hours that's not much time spend with Shane and I'm not sure how much you can retain from one weekend?

So who's done it and what did you get out of it? If I can learn some drills and practice them later, gain some speed in the process fine. But for a good time riding it would be expensive weekend.

I took it last summer. It pushes you outside your comfort zone and teaches proper techniques for common situations. And Shane watches everybody and points out tips to you specifically. It did a lot for my confidence after a pretty big crash the year before.

Not to say you can't do the same thing with private lessons from a local pro, but at some point you have to go outside of what you normally do on your own.

Have not taken the class personally but know of a few guys who have and every one of them said it was well worth the money and they would do it again!

I'd send the kids but wattsy and me don't see eye to eye. Great rider and total jerk in one package.

Why dont you just get the videos and practice , it will save you money ...

While the videos are great, they don't give you feedback on what you're doing wrong. Nor can they push you 'outside your comfort zone.'

Nothing beats one-on-one time with an excellent teacher, and I found Shane to be diligent in working with every individual in the group on every exercise.

Thinking about taking Shane's class. I've rode all my life and spend 3 years racing. I've worked into a slow to mid B rider. I'm torn on spending the time and money for the class. It's 5 hours of travel and two days. I figure I'll have 5-800 dollars invested total. I can race 1/2 a season on that.

Is it truely worth that kind of investment. I mean with say 15 people in a class for 8 hours that's not much time spend with Shane and I'm not sure how much you can retain from one weekend?

So who's done it and what did you get out of it? If I can learn some drills and practice them later, gain some speed in the process fine. But for a good time riding it would be expensive weekend.

I took the class and it's not what I'd call just a good time of play riding. It's fun, but there's work involved for sure. You'll get the time you need from Shane. I guess it depends upon what you want. I've been riding for 30+ years and like many, self taught, bad habits and all. If you pay attention, work hard and practice what he shows you AFTER the class, you'll improve. If you go to the class and continue to just ride as you always have, if you don't improve, it's because of you, not the class.

• Like 1

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll have to give it a shot.

I used to think I could read and watch a video and learn anything. That was until I tried to learn to tig weld aluminum. Tried for 1/2 a day and couldn't get it at all. I called over the instructor and he watched me try, gave me a 5 min lesson and then I could weld it. Not a good weld but a bead without holes or starts and stops.

So if you get the time you need and he can point out bad habits it would be totally worth it.

But it could just as easy be a waste, I can watch a pro at any local race. That doesn't help very much in my riding skill.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

While the videos are great, they don't give you feedback on what you're doing wrong. Nor can they push you 'outside your comfort zone.' Nothing beats one-on-one time with an excellent teacher, and I found Shane to be diligent in working with every individual in the group on every exercise.

Yea , your right , i totally agree ...

You spend much more time at the class doing than watching. He demonstrates, and you do it. He then gives you personal tips, and you do it again.

I just took his class a month ago. My take on it is (and Shane agreed) if you go into the class with the mindset of "this guy knows more than i do about riding" and you actually try what he tells you to, you will take a ton away from the class. If you don't try to put into practice what Shane says you'll keep your bad habits.

Our class had 3 B level riders all the way down to a couple who basically had an understanding of how to operate the clutch. I was somewhere in the middle and was determined to put into practice what Shane suggested and to be able to ride faster more comfortably.

We had a track that we ran a bunch and I was really surprised how much quicker and more in control I felt at the end of the second day. The class was a huge benefit for me and I'm strongly considering taking it again.

signed up for the class in June, everyone I have talked to highly recomended and all said they'd do it again.

Excited.

I've not done Shane's class, but think about this- any education you can receive from a seasoned rider is education and experience and an opportunity for improvement. We did some classes with Gary Laplant, trials based guy in California- Motoventures.com phenomenal teaching and skill building for all levels.

Unlearned a lot of bad habits and stil applying some basic fundamentals to this day.

My uneducated $.02, take the class.

Great class!! Took it last weekend and I was sore until Wednesday. You ride about 35 miles in 2 days, but it feels like 100. Fast repetitions of excercises. I was definitely one of the lesser skilled riders in the class and I learned a tremendous amount. Shane is an excellent teacher and an incredible rider. He demonstrates first and makes it look so easy that it helps you overcome your hesitation to try the exercise. We rode over things that I looked and and would not even have attempted, until Shane just cruised up over them.

Awesome class, money very well spent.

• Like 1

Have to agree with the majority of the responses here. You will be hard pressed to find someone who took the class and said, "I should have bouht the DVD's instead"

He gives a lot of 1 on1 feedback and he does push you outside your comfort zone. In my opinion, the B riders in my group advanced more than I did as a C rider. I was basically polishing the basics, whereas the B riders REALLY fine tuned and improved thier speed. I took the class in Ohio about 3 years ago and drove 7 hours from Michigan for it - I also camped on-site to save some money and it was great!

Have to agree with the majority of the responses here. You will be hard pressed to find someone who took the class and said, "I should have bouht the DVD's instead"

He gives a lot of 1 on1 feedback and he does push you outside your comfort zone. In my opinion, the B riders in my group advanced more than I did as a C rider. I was basically polishing the basics, whereas the B riders REALLY fine tuned and improved thier speed. I took the class in Ohio about 3 years ago and drove 7 hours from Michigan for it - I also camped on-site to save some money and it was great!

Definitely agree on that. The guys that are already B+ riders seemed to progress really fast. I did not progress as fast, but still learned a lot and know what I need to work on. Even as a C level or beginning rider, you will still learn, it will just take more work after attending the class, where the already skilled riders seemed to pick up on the stuff much faster.

While the videos are great, they don't give you feedback on what you're doing wrong. Nor can they push you 'outside your comfort zone.'

Nothing beats one-on-one time with an excellent teacher, and I found Shane to be diligent in working with every individual in the group on every exercise.

true, but once you record what you are doing you can compare and see what you are doing wrong.