Sign in to follow this  

Need help. Swingarm bearing replacement

I have a 1999 YZ 125 and am replacing the swingarm bearings. What is the best method to get the old bearings out? I can make a press to get the new bearings in, but need some advice to get the old bearings out. Any help would be appreciated.

Heat the swingarm a bit with a torch and use a socket thats the same diameter as the outside of the bearing and tap them out. Freeze your new bearings and heat the swingarm and tap them in the same way

Aluminum swingarms are heat treated so, don't heat it up very much if you go this route. Aluminum starts to lose it's temper at surprisingly low temperatures (~350 F). No heat is needed in my experience. If you must heat, use a heat gun so as not to get the aluminum too hot.

You can't use a socket to get the old bearings out. You can use one to get the new ones in, though.

Here's how to get them out. This will be sacriledge to some but, I just fit together enough ratchet extensions so that I can slide them through one side and reach the inside edge of the bearing on the other side. Then, tap with a hammer until the bearing comes out. Repeat for the other side.

Just make sure you're not pressing the swing arm open or closed at the front. If it survived it would be a B!tch to get it back on the bike.

I use a train of extensions like NemadjiMan but I still put a socket on the end to push the bearings out straight. (I think 20 or 22mm fits through the bore? I can't remember)

A bearing puller slide hammer contraption like a powerfist or tusk unit will get them out as well, if you have a vice to hold the swingarm steady.

A little heat does GREATLY reduce the amount of abuse it takes to get them out though, especially if it's cold in minnesota. I just did mine and they're really stuck if it's below freezing

I have had good luck using a combination of a long bolt and a series of drivers and spacers. As stated, you can use sockets as drivers but you don't have to beat on them, just tighten the nut and let the bolt pull it through. As the bearing reaches the end of the inside you have to have a spacer big enough to allow the bearing to pass through. Not sure if you can visualize this, but the concept is smilar to the above stated Motion Pro tool. I learned a long time ago to save old wheel bearing cups, pieces of cutoff steering stems, pieces of sprinkler pipe, etc. to use as drivers and spacers and they always come in handy for operations like this. I like this method for the install because I don't like to beat on a new bearing.