Sign in to follow this  

New 250f's no good?

I have been hearing problem's with every single one of the newer 250f's and I don't even know if I want to bother getting one.....

I was interested in buying a 2011 model but the stuff I am hearing about the bikes are scaring me!!! lol

Honda's crank apparently goes out at 40 hrs

The Suzuki needs rebuilds often and has false neutral problem

Kawasaki has Tranny, and rod probs

Yamaha sounds like the best one but it has an old motor

I am half thinking of getting a 125 but not too sure....

Don't believe everything you read. I think someone said it best, there are millions of bikes sold and you hear a few guys (5 I think on the KX250f thread) said they had a friend who knew of a guy who hooked up with some guy's sister who's 250f threw a rod. They are all good bikes and even just statistics says you will have some failures just because that's how the world works One guy's thread I read it was his second brand new bike he had blown up. The most recent one threw a rod 2 hrs after HE had replaced the piston and that's the manufacturers fault? So...right. Go buy a bike and have fun.

Edited by Jarrad

I have Blue bias... but a friend of mine has done nothing but oil and filter changes on his 2010 KX250F and has had zero problems.

I basically just don't want to be dumping a bunch of money into a bike........

I'm only 17 years old and I have to buy the bike myself and pay to race.

I mean a new bike is going to be right around 5 grand then its going to need the suspension set up for my weight ( i only weigh 130) which is going to be another grand, I really don't have the money to be frequently dumping into a bike for things like cranks, and clutches....etc

do you think it would be a better idea to buy a 06+ yz125 and ride that or would I be disappointed in the power, since I have a 08 CRF250R now?

You probably wouldnt be dissapointed by the power, especially if you can mod it a little bit and still come in at way cheaper than a 250f. also, if you blow up a 4 stroke and you have to pay to re-build it without support from your parents you can pretty much kiss motocross goodbye until you're done with college if you have to pay for that too. Im 16 and I pay for all of my stuff, but I make minum wage so I just went with a yz250 instead of a yz250f that I would dump a bunch of money into making more like the 2 stroke anyway (faster and more reliable). theres always that chance your going to stick a valve and then you are &%$#@!ed into buying a new head, piston, valves, gaskets, and quite possibly a cylinder. I honestly think I might rather get a chick pregnant than blow up a 4 stroke. also, if you plan on selling the bike at any point, a 4 stroke is a bad investment

I basically just don't want to be dumping a bunch of money into a bike........

I'm only 17 years old and I have to buy the bike myself and pay to race.

I mean a new bike is going to be right around 5 grand then its going to need the suspension set up for my weight ( i only weigh 130) which is going to be another grand, I really don't have the money to be frequently dumping into a bike for things like cranks, and clutches....etc

do you think it would be a better idea to buy a 06+ yz125 and ride that or would I be disappointed in the power, since I have a 08 CRF250R now?

125s are decent bikes but they can be a PITA in the bush. Your light so it would move quite well under you. Whats keeping you from keeping your 250f and putting money into that?

i would go yamaha. it doesnt matter if its an older motor. my bike is an 06 and is faster and more powerful then my dads 07 ktm250sx and my friends 09 kx250f i rode both of them and my bike (the yamaha) is by far the best

125s are decent bikes but they can be a PITA in the bush. Your light so it would move quite well under you. Whats keeping you from keeping your 250f and putting money into that?

Well the bikes going to need some money put into it, piston, valves.....etc

I could go down to Maine or New Hampshire and buy a 2011 250f for the same price that I could sell my bike for plus what i would have to put into it.

Want to come out west? I have a beautiful 06 YZ 125, I would gladly take that 250f off your hands!

Hahah, didn't plan on it!

young and paying for your own bike? I would be shopping yz250 or ktm 250sx, or a ktm150 instead unless you are not allowed to race them against 250 4 strokes

assuming your shopping for a MX bike

Edited by MrBlahh

I would def get the yamaha if your set on a 250f. That motor has been around for around 10 years. Some people think thats not a good this but if it had any major problems it would have been worked out by now. And plus its a yamaha.

You are looking at owning a racing machine, not a trail bike. It costs to go fast. I do not care if it is a 2S or 4S. If riding and every penny matters then the sport is one you need to reconsider. Way too many people buy a nice bike and fail to take care of it and then wonder why it costs so much to fix or has a terrible resale value.

You are looking at owning a racing machine, not a trail bike. It costs to go fast. I do not care if it is a 2S or 4S. If riding and every penny matters then the sport is one you need to reconsider. Way too many people buy a nice bike and fail to take care of it and then wonder why it costs so much to fix or has a terrible resale value.

I realize that (I already have one) and I do take care of my bikes, When my bikes need something fixed or rebuilt I do it, I just want to find a bike that isn't going to have any major problems motor wise.