Sign in to follow this  

VP racing fuel cans vs. others?

Have any of you noticed any significant differences among the various 5 gallon fuel cans available? I was going to buy a VP can, but I now realize that several similar looking cans are available from different manufacturers.

Plastic race fuel jugs are really a bad way to store fuel. Plastic is porous and the light ends of gasoline percolate through it. This is what causes fuel to go stale. UV light will also penetrate the translucent plastic and destroy the lead in leaded race fuels.

The best way to store fuel is in a well sealed steel container. The best readily available steel gas can is the Eagle Safety can. They run about $35 at Lowes.

Eagle_UI50FS_5_Gallon_Type_1_Gasoline_Safety_Can_with_Funnel.jpg

Edited by CamP

I had a cheap 5 gal. VP look-alike plastic jug that split after a years use. Didn't notice until I had just filled it with race gas and smelled the leaking gas in the bed of my truck. lost the better part of a gallon before I was able to transfer it. Current VP jug is 3 years old and holding up fine.

Plastic race fuel jugs are really a bad way to store fuel. Plastic is porous and the light ends of gasoline percolate through it. This is what causes fuel to go stale. UV light will also penetrate the translucent plastic and destroy the lead in leaded race fuels.

The best way to store fuel is in a well sealed steel container. The best readily available steel gas can is the Eagle Safety can. They run about $35 at Lowes.

Eagle_UI50FS_5_Gallon_Type_1_Gasoline_Safety_Can_with_Funnel.jpg

I've seen this one, but I've hesitated to buy it as I run all smokers these days, and the oil in the premix is going to have that funnel covered in dirt constantly.

The problem with the metal can for me is that I'm mixing gas from another can. Vp c12. I have found on several occasions that when pouring my newly opened can of vp into my current vp jug that It has been as much as a half gallon low. If I was pouring from metal can to metal can I would not have noticed and would have been off with the mix ratio a little. Being able to see how much gas is in the jug makes mixing much easier. If your running a 4 t or always using the pump then the metal cans are great.

And the tuff jug looks great, but I like to get rid of extra fuel in the old truck, that'd require a different nozzle to carry around.

Edited by pieplatesnductape

I've seen this one, but I've hesitated to buy it as I run all smokers these days, and the oil in the premix is going to have that funnel covered in dirt constantly.

I tie a plastic bag over the funnel to keep it clean. When it does get dirty, a shot of contact cleaner does the trick.

The trigger and funnel are actually more convenient to use than the awkward rubber hose of the plastic race jug when trying to fuel a bike with 35 pounds of fuel in the can.

Edited by CamP

The problem with the metal can for me is that I'm mixing gas from another can. Vp c12. I have found on several occasions that when pouring my newly opened can of vp into my current vp jug that It has been as much as a half gallon low. If I was pouring from metal can to metal can I would not have noticed and would have been off with the mix ratio a little. Being able to see how much gas is in the jug makes mixing much easier.

I have had plastic race jugs where the markings were way off so I never trust them. I always use a 1 gallon milk jug to measure my 2-stroke fuel.

I have a 5 gallon safety can and a 2 gallon safety can. The 5 gallon can only holds un-mixed 100LL leaded avgas. The 2 gallon can is only used for premixed 2-stroke fuel. This eliminates any confusion about whether or not a can contains premixed fuel.

Edited by CamP

The problem with the metal can for me is that I'm mixing gas from another can. Vp c12. I have found on several occasions that when pouring my newly opened can of vp into my current vp jug that It has been as much as a half gallon low. If I was pouring from metal can to metal can I would not have noticed and would have been off with the mix ratio a little. Being able to see how much gas is in the jug makes mixing much easier. If your running a 4 t or always using the pump then the metal cans are great.

And the tuff jug looks great, but I like to get rid of extra fuel in the old truck, that'd require a different nozzle to carry around.

tuff jug makes an adapter for autos