Just bought 02 TM250mx...Crazy?!

Hi guys...i'm still slaying dirt on my Kawi 450 but recently picked up a 2002 TM250mx off a buddy of mine who got it in exchange for an unpaid bill. He isn't a dirtbike guy and wanted nothing to do with it...it sat in his garage for the last year and i finally asked him about it and let me take it for what the guy owed...$1000 bucks. It apparently only needs a new throttle cable and she's good to go. How hard is it gonna be to find parts for an '02 and was i crazy to buy this thing? It is in immaculate shape, i know the original owner and he was meticulous about maintenance so i figured it would be a sound deal....and frankly, i like different. I am stoked at the thought of having a 4t and a 2t in the stable as well as having a "courtesy" bike for friends to ride but i hope i'm not setting up for disaster and regret. Your thoughts?

IMO if you had the cash and didn't get the bike you would be crazy ......jk. I got my son the 2011 TM 250Mx and they are true race bikes. Extreamly well built and very very fast. You shouldn't have a problem getting parts for them and many of the parts cross over to other bikes; Honda, Kaw etc. I think you are gonna be in for a treat once you track down that throttle cable and your "kaw" may end up being the guest bike. Big congrats you did well!

Just picked up the TM....turns out it is a 2003 EN250. Its got Ohlins suspenders front and back but the fork bushings are shot...lots of slop. Needs a new throttle cable(found one) and a new throttle assembly(think i found one) I'm pretty jacked up to get this thing dirt worthy...the headlight/taillight/horn/bar switch assmlbly is a bit of a mess hanging off the front end so we'll see how it goes but it is a project i'm looking forward to. I'll keep you all posted but it is a project that will take some time...2 other skoots to look after...travel trailer to get ready for season...kids to feed/clothe and shelter etc....its all $$$$. Any input/tips appreciated...i'll post pics and questions when i've got them.

Edited by KLX450-DIRK

Just picked up the TM....turns out it is a 2003 EN250. Its got Ohlins suspenders front and back but the fork bushings are shot...lots of slop. Needs a new throttle cable(found one) and a new throttle assembly(think i found one) I'm pretty jacked up to get this thing dirt worthy...the headlight/taillight/horn/bar switch assmlbly is a bit of a mess hanging off the front end so we'll see how it goes but it is a project i'm looking forward to. I'll keep you all posted but it is a project that will take some time...2 other skoots to look after...travel trailer to get ready for season...kids to feed/clothe and shelter etc....its all $$$$. Any input/tips appreciated...i'll post pics and questions when i've got them.

You should probably just ship it to CT. I pay the shipping and you could be done with it! You got too much to do anyway!

Pics! good score!

Took inventory...not too bad.

throttle cable - found it...$25

rear brake lever tip - found it $12

swingarm bearings - found em - $55

now i'm looking for Ohlins 46mm fork seals and bushings...OEM is gonna cost me a sh*tload. was quoted $175 per leg for full rebuild kit...not gonna happen. anyone put me onto somewhere with aftermarket support for Ohlins or know where to get OEM for less than my firstborn?

Oh yeah...anyone know what the compression should be on a 2003 EN250? i'm gonna comp test it as soon as i get the throttle cable but don't have any #'s for a baseline comparison. Thanks

Edited by KLX450-DIRK

now i'm looking for Ohlins 46mm fork seals and bushings...OEM is gonna cost me a sh*tload. was quoted $175 per leg for full rebuild kit...not gonna happen. anyone put me onto somewhere with aftermarket support for Ohlins or know where to get OEM for less than my firstborn?

Try comparing a set of 2002-2004 KYB's off a yamaha for the bushings and seals. It may be possible that Ohlins used the same parts. 46mm was used on Yamahas for awhile maybe even starting in 1997. Just a thought.

The TM project is going well....swapped most of the bearings out, repacked others....cleaned er up, rebuilt the carb and i am about to start the reassembly but i have a stupid question....what ratio would you recommend mixing the gas/oil? I'm a 4stroker and haven't mixed gas since 1988. I'm thinking 32:1 sounds right but i'm guessing. Your thoughts?

We mix my son's 50:1 with Amsoil Dominator. With my son's 2011 MX250 we were told to run race fuel so we mixed 110 oct with 93 oct 50/50. Since then we sent the head and carb off to RB and he set the bike up to run on pump fuel; 93. The bike after his mods pull's so much stonger in the low- mid it's awesome. My son has also added a FW weight which really helped smooth things out and it's actually fun to ride in the woods now even for me :bonk:. Well keep us posted on your progress and let us know when you can take down the crime sceen tape.

Yep 50:1 in all our bikes, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, weed eaters, chain saws, pipe saw, etc. I talked to a TM racer and he runs the AV fuel as he's close to an airport. We just found it cheaper and less trouble to send the head to RB and run the bike on pump fuel.