Sign in to follow this  

My first KTM ~ 2012 300XC-w

So, after waiting way too long for Suzuki to finally return to making and selling a new 2 stroke I went out and purchased a new 2012 KTM 300XC-w. And here it is!, I haven't even ridden it yet (ok ~ I took one spin around the yard after this picture).

2012%20KTM300XC-W%20Feb%202012_b_r.jpg

That said, because I'm totally new to KTM's does anyone have any helpful tips on setting it up for Hare Scramble racing? I'm an intermediate rider, 5'7" and 175lb. The only thing that I have on order is a good set of bark busters and a hour meter, in Michigan the trees are tight but the rocks are far and few (in the lower penn.).

Thanks!

Edited by zig06

You should get a spark arrested silencer or end cap and some pipe armor. In CA they check for spark arestors before the start. You will most Likely have to mess with your jetting too.

I love my '12 300 xc

Your bike already has an hour meter from the factory on the odometer/enduro computer. I would buy a skid plate, a pipe guard, some bark busters break the engine in and then jet it and rip it! Great bike!

They are very sensitive to sag set up so be sure you go over the procedure and set it up right. i also find that rebound settings need to be way less than recommended. be sure to experiment with all 3 power valve springs ( as well as screwing in / out the square adjuster dolly) to see what each setting does ( drastic difference from mild to wild) as well as the map switch ignition setting ( or grey wire plugged/unplugged if you dont have a switch). fantastic bike that will make you LAUGH when you bring up the word suzuki after a few rides.

Joe

You'll want to get some fork air bleeders. Radiator overflow resivoir. I put a JD jet kit in, right from the start and haven't had to even think about jetting. I installed the factory KTM plastic hand guards and like them. The heavy/expensive aluminum ones cause the bars to stiffen up/not flex and transmit vibes to your hands, who wants that? Disconnect the grey wire and/or get the ignition switch. Try mixing some 100 octane with super, it runs good that way- but it's not necessary.

Enjoy, they are fun bikes. Like a mountain bike with an engine.

I have the same bike sitting in my garage but we need the snow to melt before I can ride.

A buddy helped me add the FMF Q spark arrester, aluminum skid plate, bark busters, head light, break light (getting it plated for Colorado) and DOT tires to pass the plate inspection. I also added the map switch which I picked up for $30 and a few other minor tweaks.

I see some are saying add an overflow reservoir. I'll guess I didn't know about that. I've been told they overheat but I guess I'll wait to see for myself before spending the $. I'm sure there will be more changes to come. Let us know what you end up doing.

My friend was able to sell all the tear off parts on ebay in a week.

About 5 spare inner clutch cover gaskets. 3 spare water pump gaskets (cuz they tear sometimes but not every time when replacing the inner gasket) and the rekluse thicker cutch cover.

You should get a spark arrested silencer or end cap and some pipe armor. In CA they check for spark arestors before the start. You will most Likely have to mess with your jetting too.

I love my '12 300 xc

Yep, you'll definitely need to re-jet and adjust your float height. My '12 300XC the float was set way too rich (float set to high), about 3mm too high. I went with the Flatland Racing bash plate, rad guards and shark fins...they gave me a healthy discount for buying all at once.

Also got the KTM Fan kit and a Gas-Gas overflow bottle (the one that looks like a half donut that wraps around the head-tube).

Edited by DrThumper