Sign in to follow this  

2004 Honda Cr250 Craigslist bike rebuild questions

I recently picked up an 04 cr250. The bike runs good, starts first kick every time, but it needs some basic maintenance. Rather then post a bunch of different questions, I figured I would put it into one. That way anybody else in the same boat will know.

So you just wanna know basic tips?

First things first, buy or download your 04 honda cr250 service manual ASAP. It's a must.

For your oil to fuel premix always mix @ 32:1 and nothing else. Never change it under any circumstances. If the bike is too rich or lean it's because of jetting/ float height. I also HIGHLY suggest Klotz super techni plate premix. The hondas love it, and it smells the best hands down.

Go ahead and pull your carb to check that your jets are correct (jetting chart found in oem service manual)

Clean carb, rebuild kit would be ideal, it'll never be a waste of $ as you will need to rebuild sooner or later.

Flush, replace antifreeze with honda coolant or engine ice. It will come pre-mixed so you just pour it in. Never ever use water from a faucet as it contains iron and contaminants. If you ever need to add any water if you're just a little low use a bottled water.

Buy a couple new spark plugs. Go ahead gap and replace the one now, keep spares.

Go ahead and change the gear oil every 3 rides ( I do every 2). Make sure to get something designed for wet clutches. I use valvoline 10w40 from autozone. It says designed for wet clutches @ autozone is motorcycle section.

Once carb is out, pull your reeds/cage and inspect for wear/gaps/cracks replacement boyesen reeds $40

Plan on doing the top end

Buy an hour meter. I've put 10.5 hours on my bike since rebuild. I would have guessed 5 or 6 hours max.

I like to go to wal mart and buy nice big tackle box to keep all of your spare little carb parts/ levers/ hose/ etc etc you name it. They are also amazing to organize bolts when you are dissassembling the bike.

Next you gotta consider all bearings in the wheels, swing arm, shock, head, etc.

Check out your forks (fork seals/ fluid) and rear shock to check for play/wear/ etc.

Last but definitely not least, air filter. This is the single most important bit of maintenance you can do in direct relation with what gets into your motor. I have found that UNI filters are the BEST as it's actually a dual stage filter. Most filters are just one unit, but the UNI is like a regular filter + a complete filter cover. Remove, clean, dry, and oil air filter EVERY ride, and even in between rides if the filter sits long enough for the oil to dry out. I also like to buy 2 filters so I can keep one washed and oiled, ready to go in the bike after a wash, as the regular is already dirty and gets pretty wet during a wash. This way you got a fresh one to go in a freshly cleaned bike.

Hope that helps some. You own a dirt bike now. You'll also need lots of WD-40.

Edited by BlackCR25098

Also, if anyone knows how many cc/ml the tranny holds? (according to the factory manual)

A lot of people have been telling me to fill it until it comes out of the bolt underneath the water pump. It's too bad I can't find the bolt.

Sounds kinda like a goon way to me, but I don't know.

If anybody believes in this bolt way, a picture of where the bolt is on the bike would be much appreciated