Sign in to follow this  

1999 XR100R Won't idle without choke?

Hello all

I just had my carb professionally cleaned and rebuilt along with my top end. But when he put the carb back on, he forgot to adjust it. Now it only runs on a choke or half choke. I have tried (and failed) to raise the idle high enough so I can turn the choke off, but when It does get that high, it wont idle smoothly on no choke and idles 99% open throttle when you turn the choke on. It sounds like your pinning the throttle back and attempting to blow it up. It also gets VERY smokey. (Not an excessive oil issue). So I usually just lower the idle so it runs normally on a half/full choke and ride it like that. It's less smokey (but still very) like that also. How can I make it idle normally without the choke? And how can I fix this smokey issue and what is its cause? The smoke is mostly navy blue ish. Deffinately not exhaust.

Check for an air leak in the manifold. What do you mean "a professional"?

• Like 1

Ummm??? Navy blue smoke sounds like oil to me. I would start with the spark plug,remove it as this would tell me what the engine is doing. If carbon black and fouled then I would assume running too rich. (but it would be rich if the choke is on). If oily then I would assume rings. What is the compression like. And I would agree with Social Xr Professional???. If it won't run without the choke I would assume the pilot jet is either wrong or blocked.Has your professional put a new and complete carb kit in it??

The plug is always oily and black after rides. (4-5 hr long rides) and he used one of those water shooting hydrasonic cleaners to clean it. I know for a fact he is a professional because of his resume. I won't go into detail. I just changed the oil and it was grey (3 week old oil) which means clutch shavings, right?

Not sure about the carb kit, but it has good (hand tested) compression. Maybe ill buy a compression tester. But Its dificult to kick the bike over with your hand. And firm to kick with your foot.

Did you ever check the for an air leak for the choke issue? Did you check the exhaust valve guide seal when you did the top end? DId you make sure you could see completely through your pilot? The reason I ask what makes you think he is a pro, because if he cleaned the carb, he should know the pilot on these clog all the time. Did you adjust the Fuel screw? How many turns is it now?

Edited by socalxr

I had the exact same problem with mine and instead of mucking around I started on the process of elimination. I put a complete and new carb kit in it and it fixed it straight away. I would suggest this as there are a number of things that can cause this issue and I believe your carb would be the best pace to start. agree with social xr... the pilot jets on these can be a problem especially if the other components in are are not working properly ie main needle and jet. The fuel mixture screw will also need to be set up. let me know if you do not know the settings and I will get them for you. A kit can be sourced cheap and it is not hard to install. if you need more info on carb set up let me know.

We had the same problem w/ my gf's xr100. The guy I got it from gave me a new carb since they were $30 on Ebay. Put it on, start it up, couldn't get it to idle right. Luckily I went thru this w/ my 250x. Fuel screw. You gotta set the fuel screw, so that way you'll know which size pilot (pilots defined by the fuel screw) you'll need and so on (needle, Main) Turn the fuel screw to 2 turns out. And start from there turning it in or out to get max idle. More than 3 turns you need to go bigger on the pilot, less than 1 you need to go up a size on the pilot.