Sign in to follow this  

Rejetting Dangers

Hello everyone, I'm currently riding a ttr 230 and am looking to rejet/uncork it. I ride pretty musch strictly mountains and that means occasionaly crossing rivers. I was wondering if pulling off the snorkel and drilling the airbox would lead to water getting into my air intake and cause problems. Also are there any other inherent dangers of rejetting?

Technically, that is called 'uncorking', which then requires re-jetting.

Only you can determine whether opening up the airbox will be an issue for the water crossings in your riding area. But it will make a noticeable improvement in how the bike runs and performs once it is all done.

You can be creative and limit points of entry of water to the airbox by using Gorilla tape, or creating your own larger snorkel to limit water entry.

On a TTR230, I would be more worried about the wiring harness, and the stator cover I think. They need to be water-proofed.

I don't cross water particularly often so that should be fine. How much more likely is it to get water in the intake once it is uncorked?

Edited by TTR230Nick

I don't cross water particularly often so that should be fine. How much more likely is it to get water in the intake once it is uncorked?

It's not. Unless you wash it and spray the hose under the seat, or ride in deep water (1') for more than several seconds, you should have no issues.

It's not. Unless you wash it and spray the hose under the seat, or ride in deep water (1') for more than several seconds, you should have no issues.

I have crossed water thats about 2' but only a couple (literally like four times) that took my 3-4 seconds across but that's a rarity. ANd since you say it is a noticeable difference in power I'll seriously consider it. Thank you.

Edited by TTR230Nick

I have crossed water thats about 2' but only a couple (literally like four times) that took my 3-4 seconds across but that's a rarity. ANd since you say it is a noticeable difference in power I'll seriously consider it. Thank you.

Buy a JD jet kit and follow the instructions.

Check the top of the air box after a ride to see how much water is getting there, then determine if you want to risk pulling the snorkel. I ride my XR in an area with lot of really big water puddles and it was obvious that lots of water was getting under the seat and on top of the air box so I left the snorkel in because the raised lip keeps water from running into the box and the duct inside the box shielded the element from direct splash..

Edited by chuck4788