Sign in to follow this  

Another 'Will these plastics fit?' front/back

I have an '01 Wr250f (aussie registered version)

Just wondering if anyone has butchered any newer ('06-'09 etc) ones to make them fit ?

I figure just about any front guard can be bolted up, but can I re-drill / butcher the rear to make a neat fit from any more current models ?

I know the shrouds are totally different so I won't touch them.

Surely someone here has had a stab at it !

Cheers.

Edited by Thommo_400f

You're probably going to have issues with the rear, unless the pre and post '06 subframes are really similar.

Edited by 762SPR

After a lot of trolling about it seems that I would need a replacement Subframe/Airbox/Master Cyliner to make it a bolt on possibility.

I am assuming that the shape of the older subframe won't allow the newer plastics to sit flush regardless of the bolt holes?

I put a New 2010 Rear Fender on a 2003. Basically to get it to fit, I cut out two holes, one on both top sides of the fender to get it to fit between the subframe. Then I also had to cut the Left side down some clearance for the coolant tank. Otherwise the fender would be pushed in from the tank. I have plans to cover these holes in the top, sort of create a bubble of some sort, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I can snap a picture or two later tonight and post if your interested.

EDIT: The only thing I changed on the bike was the rear fender, so this is possible, just takes some time and modification to the brand new fender you just bought. The Bolt holes are actually in very similar spots, so i didn't have to modify anything to mount it, just to get it to fit.

Edited by RcrMg

Blow torch, hammer and maybe a drill I bet you can get it to work

And I tried heating and pounding in the spots where the fender contacted the subframe first. This didn't really work like I planned as it needs to be pushed in a Ton!

Hey RcrMg, I'd like to see the 2010 rear fender on your bike if you can snap a couple pics? I'm running the 10 fender up front on my 04 WR (along with an 06 tank, seat and a 05yzf rear fender...really like the looks of the newer rear fenders though. Curious as to how it fits.

2ym9g2g.jpg

Edited by Blackp5ca

Hey RcrMg, I'd like to see the 2010 rear fender on your bike if you can snap a couple pics? I'm running the 10 fender up front on my 04 WR (along with an 06 tank, seat and a 05yzf rear fender...really like the looks of the newer rear fenders though. Curious as to how it fits.

Hey, When I get home from work today I will snap some pictures of it, and how i had to modify it. It was sort of a pain, but I think it looks good, so whatever, it was worth it. I have the OEM tailight assembly too, so I think it looks a ton better than what used to be there.

I like your graphics, I have been looking around for a decent looking, simple, and not too expensive graphics for my bike to replace the OEM stuff.

EDIT: Oh one other thing, with the 2010 fender there is a small gap between the rear of the seat and the fender. I don't care about that though. You will see what I am talking about after I snap a picture.

Edited by RcrMg

896329.jpg

That looks really nice, I think the 06-09 rear fender would make it look even better. Nice Work :smirk:

I am thinking of building an 06 "flyweight" WR290F in black and yellow as a project bike.

Edited by SleepyHeadYZF

Thanks for the compliments, I think it looks pretty good for an older steel framed bike!

I love my WR, lots of fun on and off the trails. Suspension is done by racetech (rides smooth as silk) has a set of hot cams, all the free mods done, FMF pipe, re jetted..320mm front brake kit..just a blast to ride and gobs of power for what I need.

I do think a newer version of the rear fender would be nicer though!

I'll check back for those pics tonight! thanks!!

Alright, so I snapped a few pictures and uploaded them to my photobucket album. Click the link to see the pics. Password is "wr250f" no quotes.

As you can see, I cut it with just a knife, and had to shave off part of the sides of the fender down so it would fit inbetween the subframe. I tried the heat and pound method, but with the side of the fender, there was no way to press it all in without it looking messed up. It looks pretty rough right now as i haven't finished all the edges or sanded it down or anything at all. It strictly is to the point where it fits on. I wanted to see if it will work, and it looks like it will. I think it looks good. There is a gap between the back of the seat and the fender as you can see from the pictures. Some might care, but I don't. There is no way to get around that as the mounting holes wouldn't line up. I didn't modify any of the mounting holes, and it fit. It did have to be forced into place though. It does flow pretty well with the lines of the bike though. You will also have to cut down the entire length of the left side of the fender where the coolant resevoir sits. It will not fit with the resevoir in its original loacation as the fender sticks out into the resevoir. So I trimmed down the fender and now it fits. FYI, The Seat isn't bolted down in the pics completely if it looks crooked. Also Stock Exhaust is on there. Didn't want to Ruin the FMF while doing this.

Let me know what you think! Don't mind the messy garage. Its winter here in MI, everythings a mess.

http://s1100.photobu...erbug44/WR250F/

EDIT: Bike is in winter project mode, so the pics are not exactly as it normally sits. I rebuilt the engine this winter and had my head Ported for more flow! (Work for engineering co, full flow bench tested my head, lol) Probably going to be right about 38Hp this spring on a stock bore 250. At least thats what I'm shooting for!

Edited by RcrMg

Good effort !

I'm thinking of doing something like this to my '01 if I damage my current (Original) fender.

Definitely going YZ fender with an LED tail light setup.

The current tail light is as bright as a candle in an old beer bottle!

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks, and your welcome for the pics. Just a little bit more work cleaning it up a bit and it will be good! I think it definitly looks better than the old fender, so for a little bit of work, to me it was worth it!

And yes the LED rear light is waaaaaay better!

Edited by RcrMg

Thanks for the pics! Looks like with a bit of final tweaking it'll be in there almost perfectly! I do prefer the lines of that back fender much more. Maye I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the pics! Looks like with a bit of final tweaking it'll be in there almost perfectly! I do prefer the lines of that back fender much more. Maye I'll give it a try.

Yup, you bet, your welcome! It looks way better imo. It only took about 2 hours at most to get it to that point. SO I think its worth the effort.