Sign in to follow this  

Replace Clutch Lever - Stupid Question

Did my first desert race today, and while it went failry well, I need to replace my clutch lever.

Simple, right?

Yeah, I thought so too, but evidently I know as much about lever replacement as I do about desert racing - not much.

I tried removing the bolt through the clutch and hot start lever, but it won't really budge in either direction. I also tried searching the forum without any luck.

So, I'm wondering - is there a trick to replacing the lever or is my bolt just frozen?

For whatever reason, there is no bottom nut to remove.

No matter which way I turn the bolt, it gets tighter. I'm afraid to strip it out.

Any suggestions?

SOunds like it is already stripped to me.

Use an an electric impact and tap the end of the blt as you turn it, that should help it start to back out.

Here are two pictures to illustrate what I am saying:

Clutch-Top-M.jpg

And the bottom side:

Clutch-Bottom-M.jpg

I just can not get the damn bolt to back out so I can change the clutch lever. I don't want to strip the perch, though I may not have a choice...

I doubt its stripped out. It is definately siezed. If you have liquid wrench or a equilvant lubricant use that on both the top side and bottom side of the bolt and give it time to penetrate into the threads. Make sure you are turning the bolt counterclockwise. If you have access to a impact gun use that. If not just muscle it. Worst case senerio is its screwed up and you need to buy a aftermarket clutch perch (which i prefer anyways). Best case senerio is your golden replace the lever then buy the nut that should be on the bottom of the bolt.

I had the same problem recently and it was a stripped thread on the perch. I replaced mine with an R version and eliminated the clutch start switch by connecting the two wires that go to that switch.

Its been two weeks now. I have tried everything I can think of; drenching the entire thing ith PB Blaster then pushing on the bottom of the screw while turning the bolt - just spins, forcing a thin screwdriver under the bolt head while turning - just spins, turning the threaded bottom of the bolt with pliers - just spins, I even tried drilling it and using a drill out - just spins.

It seems the threads in this stubborn bolt are thicker than the threaded portion of the perch. I bought a replacement bolt and the threads are much smaller than the threads in this currently stuck bolt. Seems someone used the wrong bolt at some point in this bike's past history.

So, short of cutting the damn perch with the Dremel (which I would gladly do at this point, if I could get the clutch switch screw out without stripping it and creating a new problem) or just buying a new bike (which the wife vetoed) I am at a complete loss.

I give up, someone tell me the secret.

Grab the bolt head with a good vice grip plier, twist and pull the bolt up and out. If that doesnt work, get a small round punch and hammer it up and out. If that dosent work, cut the bolt head off, remove the hot start lever and clutch cable and replace the perch.

What about using a decent quality drill bit and drilling out the old bolt, maybe from the bottom?

When I relaced mine I purposefully broke the nut off of the bottom of the bolt and drilled the bolt out from the bottom. I takes a little time but you can save your levers and switch for your next perch.

I ended up going with the good ol' "fixin' hammer" and a punch, and just whacking the bottom of the bolt out. New Sunline "indestructible" lever is installed, and already crash tested.

It passed.

Thank you to everyone for helping me!

• Like 1